Wedding Traditions

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 557
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Wedding Traditions

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When reading Nadia's perspective, we learn that a wedding tradition/custom in Jordan is for the men to gather in the groom's tent and use guns to shoot celebratory shots in the air.

Hearing this was kind of bizarre to me because it seems dangerous, especially for a child to be present.

What wedding traditions does your culture practice?
What wedding traditions have you heard of that have stuck in your head - whether shocking or sweet?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I knew about that, so wasn't surprised. This tradition is customary in many Arab countries. Dowry is another tradition of theirs.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hm...I had no idea. Guess you learn something everyday. I guess what shocked me more is having a child in the same room since they may not be as observant as an adult.

For me, I love the tradition of having your father walk you down the aisle. When I got married, my dad walked me down, and it was significant to me because he was rock growing up. Now, he didn't "give me away" since I don't believe in that. I chose my hubby. So, my dad walked me most of the walk and we turned, hugged and he gave me kiss on my forehead before I finished my walk to my hubby. I loved it! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Hm...I had no idea. Guess you learn something everyday. I guess what shocked me more is having a child in the same room since they may not be as observant as an adult.

For me, I love the tradition of having your father walk you down the aisle. When I got married, my dad walked me down, and it was significant to me because he was rock growing up. Now, he didn't "give me away" since I don't believe in that. I chose my hubby. So, my dad walked me most of the walk and we turned, hugged and he gave me kiss on my forehead before I finished my walk to my hubby. I loved it! :)
Nice! Thank you for sharing. :)

In my wedding, my mom and my mother in law walked me down. My father and my father in law walked my hubby.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:Hm...I had no idea. Guess you learn something everyday. I guess what shocked me more is having a child in the same room since they may not be as observant as an adult.

In my wedding, my mom and my mother in law walked me down. My father and my father in law walked my hubby.
:tiphat:

Aw...that is so sweet! Thank you for sharing. :)

One of our friends had both of her mom and dad walk her down. I love the different ways people incorporate old traditions!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:

:tiphat:

Aw...that is so sweet! Thank you for sharing. :)

One of our friends had both of her mom and dad walk her down. I love the different ways people incorporate old traditions!
You're welcome! I love it, too. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

In some parts of our country, wedding guests would pin money through the bride's and groom's clothes. I think it's a good practical tradition.
Emmaky
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaky.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Emmaky »

Our wedding tradition starts with dowry payment where the groom can be asked for 99 goats each valued at a certain figure. He'll then pay a certain amount of money and the rest he'll pay at the course of their marriage.

After this a wedding date is set and its a whole day affair. You start at the church and later retire to an afternoon reception where guests eat, dance and give for he newly weds gifts.

A few friends go for evening/ night reception just to drink and dance with the couple.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

In Romania one of the most popular wedding traditions is that at one point during the party, the bride is kidnapped. And to bring her back, the groom needs to give something to the ones who kidnapped her. Usually it's champagne or whiskey but it's not a rule.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

In the black culture, some still practice the wedding tradition of jumping over a broom. It always stuck with me because I know the time period that practice came from.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Malfoyy Slitherin
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malfoyy-slitherin.html
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter

Post by Malfoyy Slitherin »

My wedding tradition is to jump over a BROOM. As an indication of jumping over the obstacles in the marriage. Crazy but true!
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter
Shantelle35
Favorite Author: Lysa TerKeurst
Currently Reading: Rejoice
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shantelle35.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
fav_author_id: 7203

Post by Shantelle35 »

When my husband and I renewed our vows last year on our 15th anniversary, we did a ceremony of the sands. All four of our kids participated as well and we each had our own vase with a different color of sand. Our pastor read aloud what each color stood for and then we simultaneously poured our small vases of sand into a larger vase. All the colors mixed and it was neat to see how those grains of sand combined! The symbolism is special to us still. Just as those grains of sand cannot be separated, neither shall our family be separated. :D
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
khadija001
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17558">The Last Juror</a>
Currently Reading: Rage and Mercy Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by khadija001 »

Dowry is also a traditional aspect of the Muslims not only Arabs. Horse riding with adornments for the groom and the bride is one of our marriage cultural practices
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

In my country, the bride and groom don't receive gifts, but more like money in an envelope. The two stand (for hours sometimes) welcoming people that form a line passing in from of them, congratulating them and giving them envelopes with money. These envelopes are gathered in some kind of box, which will be open once the wedding is over, and then the money counting can start. Some people (when there are over 1000 folks invited) can actually get enough money for a down payment on a house.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

We can't erase wedding traditions in the mind of the people according to their own culture and customs. If it is done with love the result is full of happiness but when it's not, we can see a lot of fake faces.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”