Wedding Traditions

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Wedding Traditions

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Izesicle wrote:In some parts of our country, wedding guests would pin money through the bride's and groom's clothes. I think it's a good practical tradition.
Something similar that I've seen on the West Coast of the US are money dances, where guests can dance with the groom or bride in exchange for some cash.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

In our country, there is a tradition of stealing the groom's shoes and returning it after getting a hefty sum of money from him.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
EmSwan
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emswan.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by EmSwan »

I feel like the culture I was raised in has few enforced traditions, and an emphasis on Your Own choice, but having not gone through marriage yet, I may find out that other people want to persuade me to follow other traditions, as well as those Of The culture of whoever I marry
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
kittymamamau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittymamamau.html
Latest Review: Fences by Angela Khrsitin Brown

Post by kittymamamau »

Yes, that tradition sounds very strange to me. A tradition I don't understand is the requirement to have different things at your wedding: "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." I just don't get it.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

The typical wedding tradition for a Christian family would be to marry int a church with God as a witness. While this is a wonderful tradition, I have always liked the idea of having an outside wedding. I would have my maid of honor, my bridesmaids, my father would give me away, and I would do the typical traditions like something borrowed, something blue, something new and something old. I actually took a look at the Disney Fairytale weddings one time. You would think that the idea of that would sound kind of silly because you automatically picture Mickey Mouse at your wedding, but it was actually some of the most elegant weddings I have ever seen, at least in pictures. Everything from the dresses to the locations of the weddings were so beautiful and set up in a way that was unique to the person. They handle all of the wedding details for you so that the bride is completely stress free. It is on the pricey side, but I thought it was actually very interesting and I was surprised at how beautiful the weddings actually looked. so that was probably one of the strangest ones I had ever looked at, but I definitely don't regret checking it out.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

In my culture it's the tradition for the groom's grandmother to give a traditional basket to the bride which she gives to help the bride use to carry groceries when she goes to the market
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by indubitabubbly »

Reading about different wedding traditions is always very interesting. Though they are sometimes extremely strange coming from my cultural context.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I'm fascinated by handfasting in Pagan rituals. Supposedly, the handfasting lasts for this life and the rest of them in the future.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

I have quite a lot of wedding traditions, as I come from an Indian and more specifically Punjabi family and am Hindu (I know, a lot of specifications but here in India there are a lot of different traditions for different states and religions). A few wedding traditions include the sagaii or engagement where the rings are exchanged, then there's the Mehendi (henna) when women from both sides get their hands painted and sometimes the groom too, there is also the sangeet for the women on the same night. In this ceremony, the ladies sing and dance and generally just have fun. A few others are the Chooda chadana, when the bride wears a set of 21 purified red and white bangles and the Haldi ceremony during which a paste is applied to any visible parts of the bride and grooms body. All these ceremonies are done before the wedding and other than the engagement they each happen separately for the bride and the groom in their respective households.
This is actually just a few of the pre-wedding rituals and the wedding and post-wedding rituals are an entirely different story. But my favourite part of the wedding ritual is the baraat, when the groom's family and friends go towards the wedding venue followed by the groom riding a horse, in a procession of music and dancing.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

It was not that surprising to me. This is a tradition in most Arab countries, and I've personally witnessed it. I do think that having a child in the same room was wrong, but at the same time the child should've been more careful.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Having my father walk me down the aisle and knowing that one day my husband will take the same steps walking each of our daughters down the aisle. They know he will be doing it and sending them out with the person they love with his love.
Bookybug
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookybug.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Bookybug »

i came across a tradition where on the marriage day the bride is not supposed to smile as it is believes that it shorten the life span of the husband, she then eats the food leftover by her husband on the first night.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

kislany wrote:In my country, the bride and groom don't receive gifts, but more like money in an envelope. The two stand (for hours sometimes) welcoming people that form a line passing in from of them, congratulating them and giving them envelopes with money. These envelopes are gathered in some kind of box, which will be open once the wedding is over, and then the money counting can start. Some people (when there are over 1000 folks invited) can actually get enough money for a down payment on a house.
wow, what a tradition! Would love me a down payment on a house lol.
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

Am a Kenyan and we have different tribes in my country. I belong to the agikuyu tribe.

Before a marriage occurs, the groom is expected to investigate the girls' family. This is done to ensure that the girl to be married is from a good family. For example in terms off, she does not come from a family of witches or lazy people. Also it is done to investigate the girls beauty and mannerism. This findings are then reported to the uncles and father of the groom and if satisfactory, a date to visit the brides family is set.

When the groom comes to see the brides family, he should be accompanied by his father and his elder brother and two of his uncles. The bride price is agreed upon during this meeting and then the bride is called in to the meeting after the negotiations are over in order for her to be shown off. The bride is expected to be shy when she is showing herself off in front of the groom and his family in order for her not to come out as headstrong. The bride is then sent away and then the men drink as a show of agreement.

If the bride price of a woman is not paid or part of it is not paid before the wedding, it is believed that the woman will die while giving birth.

Before the marriage, there is usually a ceremony where the girl to be married invites her female friends in order to say goodbye as she gets ready to begin her married life. In this ceremony, a goat or a sheep is slaughtered and the bride to be, approaches the men and requests for meat that she is going to feed her friends. There are specific parts that only women can eat and those that only men can eat. It is considered a taboo for one to eat meat intended for either side.
During the wedding, there is a piece of meat that both the man and woman hold as an elder cuts it. This piece of meat that was cut, they feed each other to symbolize their union

It is also considered a taboo for a woman to get married when she is not a virgin. If it became known that the girl lost her virginity before marriage, both the man and the woman will be taken deep in the forest and left there for dead. Or the woman can be married off to a very elderly man. If a woman gives birth out off wedlock, her breasts are pressed until they produce milk and that child would always be considered an outcast. In the event that her bride price was already paid, the bride price is returned to the groom.

We also believe an uncircumsed man cannot marry because he is considered a child in the eyes of the society.

However, some of this believes were practised a long time ago and in today's world, we don't practise some of them like those of pressing a womans breasts till they produce milk or marrying off a woman who has lost her virginity or throwing the couple that participated in the sexual act in the forest.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

We don't have cultural norms per say, nothing hat sticks out of the ordinary anyway, but one thing i do like is the taking off the garter off of the bride by the new husband. It's exciting and a nice prequel of what's to come. ;) ;)
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”