Is it true women try to please their men?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Phikim
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Re: Is it true women try to please their men?

Post by Phikim »

To some extent it's true but there comes a time when underlying unresolved issues take precedence and pleasure becomes a mirage. No more pleasure of pleasing your partner becomes the lead.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

Let's put parameters around the "pleasing." Should women try to live their life in a way that compliments themselves and their partners? Yes. Should women try to do things for their partners they know they like? Yes. But doing something for your man should never be seen as serving him, or the other way around. You help each other be better, and to do that you can never belittle what the other does. I'm not going to say they have to be equal. I know relationships where the woman goes the extra mile a lot more than her man but the man already has a lot on his plate in means of taking care of her. The most important thing is that you both are clear on your expectations for one another and you voice concerns if/when they arise. You must have love and trust above all.
MURIIRA
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Escape</a>
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muriira.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MURIIRA »

Women have to please their men to keep them. Men are like kids you have to treat them as such. If yo don't somebody else definitely will.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

In a healthy relationship, both partners should be trying to please the other (to a reasonable extent, of course). I think a lack of reciprocity will eventually lead to resentment.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Ritikadalal
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Ritikadalal »

I think both the sides should focus on pleasing each other because they both are in the relationship not just any one of them.
Ritikadalal

Post by Ritikadalal »

I think both the sides should focus on pleasing each other because they both are in the relationship not just any one of them.
Ritikadalal

Post by Ritikadalal »

bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I believe that both parties in a relationship should want to please each other, but they shouldn't be completely dependent on each other for happiness. Some cultures still believe that women should please their men. I know some women take extra caution to please their man in order to avoid conflict, that would be an awkward situation for me to be in.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I guess, pleasing your especial someone is a two-way journey. Both of you must try to please each other for somewhat it strengthens your relationship.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Gratey12
Currently Reading: Marvel Science Stories Nov 1950
Bookshelf Size: 588
Reading Device: B00P93430Q

Post by Gratey12 »

It's true but also true is the opposite, the man trying to please his woman. It's love that knows no bounds.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'll echo what sb said up there, the pleasing should come from both sides and should flow from love rather than from duty.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I think this all depends on the dynamics of the relationship. In some the women try to please the men and in others the men try to please the women.

For myself I'd like the relationship to ne both ways. We both try to please the other one. It's so tiring trying to please someone when nothing you do seems to be good enough, and getting nothing in return. :cry:
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

Gravy wrote:I find this question to have some unpleasant connotations.

Every partner should try to please their significant other, regardless of gender. However, I don't think either side should just expect to be catered to, which is what comes to mind with this phrasing (like I said, connotations).

I believe a lot of women still have the unfortunate mindset that it's expected of them, but that some honestly enjoy it. I also believe that it should never be taken for granted, on either side.
I couldn't have said this better. I completely agree with you!
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Most women see it as their duty to always please their men, and some cultures and religions demand it. It is not bad for a woman to try to please the man, but the man should equally make an effort. I believe everything in a relationship should be mutual
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

gali wrote:
Jeconiaomolo wrote:In the story both Lara and Nadia have issues with their men. Nadia thinks that Lara's case is just like many unhappy stories she has been coming across every day of women trying to please their men. She is even worried why men and women relationship could not be based on satisfaction and control. Do you agree with Nadia that in relationships it is women trying to please their men or the opposite?
I disagree with her. I think both sides should try to please each other, but they should do it out of love and not out of duty.
I agree with gali also.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”