Yasser or Miriam?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Re: Yasser or Miriam?

Post by Czarmaine AM »

This is an interesting question. I also found myself torn between them while reading the book. However, like most of the comments here, it's almost impossible to pick a side because they are both annoying. Love may be overrated but respect is timeless. If you fall out of love with your marriage partner, I do believe that there's still a chance to make it up especially if you have children. However, if the respect is lost, efforts will be futile. Yaser disrespected Maryam by having an affair, Maryam disrepected Yaser by belittling him.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I don't want to choose between the two because they are both culprits and at the same time, they are victims. They are trapped in their marriage in the absence of love.
This is exactly the case. I believe that if they tried to love each other, things would straighten up a bit.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

gali wrote: She was just as bad since she resisted every idea of his and twisted his words. One could say they deserved each other...
That's hilarious! :D But I can totally see that point. I felt their problems existed because they didn't talk to each other. Did Yaser tell Mariam that he didn't like TV time, or any of the other things he was feeling? And vice versa. Maybe they had but never tried to see each other's side. That said, I was still glad they chose to stay together.
* *I miss snow!* *
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

Honestly, I felt pity for Yaser for most part of their story.
KatieSavage
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesavage.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KatieSavage »

They both made me so angry because they where sooooo childish. They clearly where both at fault for their failing relationship. Yasser was too little of a man to tell his wife he was an atheist and didn't want to participate in her faith. Religion should not matter in a relationship. My parents where different religions and they loved each other despite that. Miriam always wanted to start an argument with her husband and never gave him a break. It is absolutely ridiculous how they acted and I can not believe they let their relationship get so bad before trying to fix it. Even when they tried to fix it they weren't even trying!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Miriam for sure. Though there were things that she could have handled better, I think that overall she was just trying to make things work. Yaser married her in part because of her faith and what a large part of her life it was, and then he turns around and blames her for it and deliberately misleads her about his own faithlessness. They both have demanding jobs, but it seems like Miriam is the one who is primarily raising their children and keeping the household running, while Yaser complains about her not having enough time for him. He is cheating on her and then blaming her for it. Gross.
Nishit Kumar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nishit-kumar.html

Post by Nishit Kumar »

Both are right and wrong at the same time. It's all about the perspective..
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Yaser is more responsible for bad relationship. Mariam did her best to run her family and professional life but lack of conversation by both and little cooperation from Yaser's side was the real source of panic between their relationship.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
seun doris
Currently Reading: The sunset at Tropex
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-doris.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by seun doris »

i prefer Yasser over Miriam
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I would support Mariam. She tried to save the marriage. She tried to be understanding and supportive of Yaser. She tried to be a good mother and wife, while keeping her faith.
King Fisher
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-fisher.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by King Fisher »

I actually got angry each time Marian spoke, I can't imagine spending my life with someone like her. Poor Yaser.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I think I am team Miriam. Yaser just comes off as whiny, complaining and kind of a all around selfish jerk. I know we are supposed to feel sympathy for him, but I had a very hard time doing so when all he did was complain, and carry on an inappropriate relationship with someone else. He's jealous of his buddy Gilbert who gets to have a single life, and apparently despite proposing to Miriam hasn't ever truly been happy with her. Miriam on the other hand, despite her own beliefs which differ from Yaser's- is painted as the stereotypical nagging wife. Miriam takes care of the kids, tries to be there for Yaser, tries to spend time with him, while trying to point out some of his unwelcome or selfish behaviors. It seems she tries a lot more to salvage their marriage than he does. She has tried to give him the life he wanted, but he just isn't happy with it.

Honestly Yaser was probably the character I disliked the most in this book.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I don't support or condemn either or them. Both are flawed. Yaser wants a perfect wife when he's not perfect . Mariam on the other hand is too much to handle. She always wants to have the last word
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

While i liked the book and liked the theme of Mariam and Yasser, I hated their story. They were very annoying. I hate when people are quite and bottling up instead of openly discussing their problems. While I didn't like Mariam in the beginning, i liked her in the end, but yasser just made random choices at weird timings and wasn't acting on is feelings except at wrong times and also inappropriate reactions.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I wouldn't pick a side in that. They were going through a hump in their relationship, and neither was doing their best. Plus, the picture we have of Mariam is influenced by our narrator, Yaser, and how he feels about her. Until the end, we don't actually get her perspective on all this.

As a couple, they work really poorly. The only real communication in the entire novel happens at the airport when she spills her guts out to him, and that's unsurprisingly the thing that gets them back together.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseerโ€