Do you believe in magic?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Do you believe in magic?

Post by riazziea »

I believe that magic has such a broad range that it's hard not to believe in it a little bit. For some, religion is magic. For others, a miracle has to happen for them to believe in magic. I feel that everyone wants to believe in magic. It is the little kid left in us all. Reading about the supernatural or magic can be quite satisfying if it is done in such a way to make it believable. I, myself, do believe that magic has some form in our lives. We just have to open our minds to be able to see it.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I do believe in magic. I've known many practioners of many stripes, but I understand that there are many charlatans out there as well. The best practioners I've met are very secretive and hence are hard to find.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Gravy wrote:
'Magic's just science that we don't understand yet.'

~Arthur C. Clark
Nice one. I think magic is just what's beyond the boundary of what science can explain.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Dh_ wrote:I don't believe in magic, as much as I want it to be real. I think there's an explanation for everything and can't wrap my head around things appearing out of thin air. I would like it to be real though.
I just consider things which are beyond the explanation of science to be magic. They will remain magic until science can give explanations to them.
I think you all are right. An influence that produces an effect without revealing the cause is a mere illusion.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

I don't know, but there are strange things in this world, even more mysterious than magic.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I don't believe in magic, as much as the idea is enticing I believe everything has a logical reason for happening.
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

I try not to!!! But I live in Kenya and come from a community where people believe in being bewitched. It's scary to imagine but it just might be true.
LadyLynn
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylynn.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by LadyLynn »

I believe in the magical energies that persist in nature. Not quite the magic you see in novels.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Elias encountered a fortune teller or shawafa. Elias felt a quiver in his nerves when the fortune teller claimed that she saw Kanza Malawi in his palms and she read how he feels. This is some kind of Magic. Do you believe in Magic?
I think you are talking about palmistry and fortune-telling? Magic is a word that people use for extravagant doings that can't be explained. Palmistry and fortune-telling are few of the things that astrology teach.

It isn't accurate and I wouldn't say it is complete nonsense. They are some truths on your palm and could know someone from looking at them using their "intuition." They are naturally gifted in this field and as far as I know, there are no concrete proof on how and why are they capable of it.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I definitely do not believe in magic, because I believe that everything can be explained somehow. Even if I don't know what the answer is, doesn't mean that it can't be explained.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I don't believe in the sort, the book mentions but I do believe in occurrences where it is out of our hands and it is God's will.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I don't believe in magic. However, I find magic written about or shown in the media, very interesting. Imagine having magic as your talent. That you are able to bend a spoon with your mind or light a fire out of nowhere. Or like in that movie Matilda, Matilda is able to arrange her parents disorganised house with her mind. #i may not believe in magic, but I find magic very intriguing.

For anyone who loves reading about magic or seeing it, check out the novel the magicians by lev Grossman. The book has also been made into a motion picture. There is a whole season out.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Magic makes a good addition to a paranormal story or a fanstisy. Unfortunately I don't believe that magic exists in our reality. I still enjoy it in many of the books I read. Iwould like for it to exist.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Nishit Kumar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nishit-kumar.html

Post by Nishit Kumar »

I believe there is a distinction between enjoying and believing in magic. I love reading about magic, but at the same time, I understand that all this is fictional and not real.
Serina Vitrino
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serina-vitrino.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by Serina Vitrino »

I believe magic is real, but I feel there is a scientific basis to magic. Think of it as energy. Does it seem so impossible o energy to be manipulated? It happens in nature all the time. But my family is very superstitious so I may be biased. All I know is do not mess with witches in Mexico!
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”