Learning another language

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Re: Learning another language

Post by Harmony Hills »

In my country, we have a subject that teaches English all the way to college. So it was mandatory and i learned it through schooling and i guess because it has already become a second language for us. Some dialects as well have a touch of Spanish because of colonization. There are just so many factors affecting the learning another language. But it would be nice to learn in the country where that language is being spoken. I really wanted to learn French!
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I think a native speaker is the best person that can teach you how to speak a language. Who knows the complex areas and the cultures that inform some parts of the language better than the natives? Personally, I'd love to learn French, Spanish and Italian.
shqiperia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shqiperia »

i speak 6 languages and i learned em from people which its their native language so for learning a language you must learn from someone which its his native language
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I prefer learning a new language from a native. If I was to learn a new language, I would learn Arabic.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I think that learning a language can happen anywhere. I learned Spanish from a woman who had visited Mexico but was an American citizen. I think most of it depends on the type of learner the person is. I learned from songs I was taught as well. My daughter learns better through the music of the language she is learning. She learned some from the online class but more from the music. She also wants to visit the country to be immersed in the language for fluency. My mother-in-law was fluent in Spanish but never left the U.S. All of her learning was in college. So my opinion is it can happen anywhere depending on the learner and their style of learning.
Reinalt campos

Post by Reinalt campos »

For me the best way to learn new language is to have a good relationship to a foreign people, spending time on making converstations with their language by studying their basic language. They can easily and willingly teach you and correct you if you speak it in wrong grammar.
Lilredgurl

Post by Lilredgurl »

I am constantly trying to learn Spanish. I have learned the most from natives combined with teaching materials. Having someone to practice with is also important. I am always looking for someone to practice with so I will not lose the skills that I have gained thus far. Plus, they can correct you if you say something wrong.
Rouzie
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rouzie.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Rouzie »

Native speaker, thats the best and easiest way to learn a different language.Yes, one can learn in school but one wont learn faster than the one who learns through a native speaker.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
nelladreamz

Post by nelladreamz »

I think it does not matter whether you are learning from a native speaker or not. Language is dynamic and everyone has their own style regardless of what may be perceived as the norm. As long as you get the end result of communication all you can do is pick and be aware of the diversity.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I am from India and I learned English without ever talking to any 'native' English speaker. However, speaking in that language to someone else who understands it, native or not, surely goes a long way. Otherwise, listening to songs and watching TV shows and movies does the trick.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I learned to speak German from a woman who wasn't German but spent several years there. I think it could be beneficial but not completely necessary.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

My first language is English. Ive been taking Spanish for a while now and I feel like I need to spend some time in a Spanish speaking country to immerse myself in the language. A good way is to listen to audio. You retain alot of knowledge without trying to hard that way.
Vallen Kale
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallen-kale.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Vallen Kale »

I think normally it is best to learn a language from a native speaker. But that doesn't necessarily has to be the case. Sometimes, we can learn the language by ourselves. I mean we live in an age where we can practically find almost everything on the internet. When I first learned the English language, I had actually tried it on the internet.

Oh, and to answer your question of which language I would like to learn, I prefer Spanish or Japanese.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

Learning another language is fun and challenging. Native speakers can speak their language well but I doubt many of them can explain the rules of their language in a way that non-native speakers can learn it easily. When we speak in our native language, it's already a part of us and we use/follow the rules instinctively. We just immediately notice when sentences are awkward but not all of us can explain them in detail. The best way to learn a language is by speaking it everyday, thinking or having your inner conversation in that language and surrounding yourself with others who also speak it.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Shaimaa »

I disagree with Elias. Arabic is my mother tongue, and I started learning English at school. However, my school English was not as good as I wanted it, so I had to improve it by myself. I read a lot, learned new words and memorized their meanings. It took time and effort.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”