Learning another language

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Kyle789
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle789.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Learning another language

Post by Kyle789 »

The best way to learn a language is to learn it from a native speaker. I want to learn Japanese and Korean.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I believe it's always better to learn from the natives, but it's not entirely necessary. I myself learnt English in a non-English country. I wish to learn Arabic and Chinese.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I think it's best to learn a language from a native speaker, but where one can't be found, the available must sought after. I think I'd want to learn Italian first
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think that learning a language has many dynamics. It is possible to learn a language through a non-native speaker, however, there will be an essence that is missing, such as the exact accent and slang words. On the other hand, native speakers may be able to teach the language used on the street, yet their language vocabulary and grammar may not be as extensive as you would learn in a classroom.

I know several languages. Some learned in a classroom, some on the street, and I know them to different capacities, for example, the ones that I learned in a classroom I understand the grammar behind the sentences, yet it is more difficult to express myself.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Ikechukwu Echebiri
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-echebiri.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Ikechukwu Echebiri »

Yes, I agree with Elias. Oral or spoken English is best learnt from native speakers; while written may not necessarily be the case. I think this applies to other languages.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

We learn what we are exposed to. It is not necessary to learn a language from a native speaker, but whatever the source is it should be good. Let's say, one wants to learn English language. They can learn it in a non-English speaking country with the help of good books on English, audio-visual aids, etc. To learn a language, we need to be exposed to that language in the best way possible.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

The best way to learn new language is through friendship. I became linguistic when I was exposed to different groups of people. It's full of fun. You need to study not just their language but also their costumes and culture.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Nuz winnhy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188

Post by Nuz winnhy »

i believe that reading , watching tv and movies are a really fun way to learn other language.
msambi
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msambi.html

Post by msambi »

i think natives are the best teachers of a foreign languages, you get to know more from the natives
Denise Wallace
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Post by Denise Wallace »

Robyn Lea wrote:Elias says that the best way to learn English is through a native speaker. I disagree. Ok, I have to admit I learned to speak Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country. However, I have met people who learned English in a non-English speaking country.

What do you think? What's the best way to learn another language (music, other)? Is it necessary to learn from a "native?"

If you could learn a second or third language which one would you want to learn? Why?
I always wanted to become fluent in Spanish, as I love to visit Mexico and would love to visit countries in South America.
rjthegreat92
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjthegreat92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by rjthegreat92 »

It depends on the person. But for me a native speaker would be better, however a class can be just as effective for me. I am currently learning American Sign Language. I watch videos online and have a friend who teaches me.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
calebkimutai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by calebkimutai »

you can Learn another language as a matter of interest since it hard to adopt .I do agree if you stay in a country that speaks the same language for example Germany you can get full access of the language
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I took Spanish classes through high school, and although I did very well in them and can still speak and write most of what I learned, I find it hard to speak to a 'native.' It seems like they speak a lot faster than I learned to, so I think learning from a native would be the easiest for me.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
shahana_25
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahana-25.html

Post by shahana_25 »

Learning a new language it depends from person to person and language to language. Some learn it quickly, some have difficulty even pronouncing them. If the language is similar to persons native language chances are that will be the easiest to learn. For example, for the person who's native language is Persian, can easily learn Urdu. To the person who can speak Urdu can easily learn Hindi.

-- 04 Aug 2017, 16:58 --
Nuz winnhy wrote:i believe that reading , watching tv and movies are a really fun way to learn other language.
I do agree. Its fun, easy and quickist way I believe.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

In the age of modern technology, there are indeed variety of ways to learn a new language. Some may learn through watching TV shows, practicing with words and saying it out loud, or just listening to music. However, using the language in actually communicating with people is still the best way. I recently moved in here in an Arab country and most non-native Arabic speakers can't still par with the natives. I guess it really just depends on what language you are trying to learn. Like in Arabic, there are some characters which doesn't have an English counterpart. They have like "throaty" accent.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”