Learning another language

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
adinamurariu
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adinamurariu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Re: Learning another language

Post by adinamurariu »

I teach foreign languages and I can say , based on my experience, that the easiest way to learn another language is through natives. You can learn it in schools, too, but it is more difficult and more abstract.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

I live in a country where English is not the first language, and though it is required to have three years of English, it is mostly the basic and not enough to make you fluent in it. It makes sense that a native speaker can be more efficient, but I don't think it is necessary to be in a country to learn the language.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Learning through a native speaker is best I think. It's kind of easier.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Hello! I love your question! I love languages as well :techie-studyinggray:
I am a native speaker of Spanish. English is my second language. I haven't learned from native speakers, but that didn't stop me from using the English language to get my ideas across.
My third language is (going to be) German. I have studied with a Spanish native speaker like me and now I'm taking classes with a lady from Germany. I think it's the same. As long as you are taught by someone who is passionate and professional, you can learn without any restrictions.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I think it would be ok to learn the basics by yourself, but better to learn and study in depth with a native. A friend of mine learned to speak Spanish in Colorado but when she went to Mexico they were speaking more of a slang and she was speaking the proper Spanish she learned which made the conversation struggle.
hebcandle
Currently Reading: The Crane
Bookshelf Size: 1222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hebcandle.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00AGAS6XW

Post by hebcandle »

For me, learning another language with help from a native speaker has been best. I have used language learning software like Rosetta Stone as well as using language books as aids to my learning. I'll also watch movies or listen to music in the language I'm trying to learn too. I have to tackle it from many angles to really learn it.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I took four years of Latin in high school. Never learned to really speak it and only took a semester of Italian in college. So I could never converse in another language. But it's funny that just with those roots, I can pick up a fair amount hearing or seeing related languages.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

Learning a second language from a native speaker is the best way. And it's going to be a two way process. You learn from them and they learn from you. If to learn another language, I like French and Japanese
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

Would like to learn French. I think the fastest way to learn another language is to be among people who speak the language.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

I love learning other languages. So I have to admit that talking to natives it's an amazing source of learning. But in my personal experience I must say that books and songs are also a perfect choice if you really want to learn.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

There are many ways to learn a new language. Engaging in dialogue with a native speaker is just one of them. Everyone learns differently some have to sit inside a class room others from listening and practice. Music is a great way to learn a new language. It's easier to remember something sung to a beat than something said in the monotone of a professor.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I think learning through a native speaker would be a huge asset. Though I do have a friend who mostly learned English through other people and says she has difficulty writing in English. So I don't think there's any perfect way to learn another language. I live in an area that has a very diverse community and I hear different languages spoken all the time. It makes me wish I could do the same, but at this point in my life I just don't have the drive or the time to invest in it.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html

Post by Cloe101 »

It's not limited to learning from a native (country),
If I had to choose I would like to learn Spanish first
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Speaking with a native in learning their language is the only way one could go on about it. You can listen to music sung in a language you are learning, or even watch movies and series acted in that very same language, with subtitles...however.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

There are many ways to learn a new language, but learning from a native is the best. It wouldn't come off as a difficult task, you get to enjoy the language as you're learning it, which makes it fast and easier.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”