Learning another language

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Learning another language

Post by Papercut »

For anyone and for simplicity's sake, I would go with watching movies, listening to musics, reading or vocally speaking the foreign language that you want to learn.

I think people said that it is best to learn from people that are native speakers because that it enforces the motivation and "studying" it make more fun when you talk to someone like that. Besides that, you can experience yourself the rich culture and tradition that you won't get just from reading a textbook.

In the end, it all depends to person who likes to learn it since we all got our own charms learning it.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I definitely think that the best way to learn another language is to converse with other fluent speakers of the language that you wish to learn. I have taken many language courses and tried to learn with textbooks, but the closest I have gotten to being fluent is when spending time with someone who spoke the language.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

The world is now a global village and learning is quite an easy task. Through the power of the internet, various courses can be read and applied without necessarily the assistance of a native speaker.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

It would be interesting to learn another language through music. Given a chance, i would be thrilled to learn french and Spanish.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

The best way is to listen to radio, music and to live with someone that speaks the language.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I've taken multiple class so I know English, French, German, Spanish, and sign language. I love learning a new language it gives me a sense of accomplishment and foreigners can't talk about me behind my back you'd be amazed what they say about people when they thing the person doesn't understand.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Keri wood wrote:I've taken multiple class so I know English, French, German, Spanish, and sign language. I love learning a new language it gives me a sense of accomplishment and foreigners can't talk about me behind my back you'd be amazed what they say about people when they thing the person doesn't understand.
Wow, I am envious. You know so many languages! That is just so awesome.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I would love to learn Korean and I've been trying to learn on my own for some time, but I'm not fluent yet. I think it is possible To learn without a native speaker, but for me that would be the most effective way.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Learning another language is full of fun. You will exercise your tongue, the more you practice other language will sometimes make you laugh. it is like a tongue twister to me.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

It's all about commitment, but being in the midst of native speakers is a bonus.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

I learned English in school. But then I started playing games in english, watching movies and tv shows in english and reading too.
So I learned english that way. I think that contact with native english people is necessary - to train your speaking skills.
Next language in line is French, and the plan is the same: games, books, movies and tv shows. If I could I would learn every language of the planet, I love understanding everything.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

It might be easier to learn a new language from a native speaker but I must say that it's not the only way.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

I think that this differs from person to person, but I have been learning a bit of the Korean language with my son through his taekwondo, and we make up songs to remember the terminology he is tested on. That is what works for us, but I have suggested it be tried with some of his friends and it did not work for them.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

Speaking it is best, but... I'm human, and also can't afford to travel to India and it's not safe to go to the Levant right now. I use Memrise for alphabets and vocab, peace corps/intelligence guides, Duolingo when I can, and pretty much anything else I can get my hands on that's free. I try not to hold myself to too high of a standard, too - even hearing "hello" in your own language in an unfamiliar place can help build such an incredible connection.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

While I am not saying that learning from a native speaker doesn't work and shouldn't be used, I think it depends on the person. Many people learn best from people who speak that language, and that's great. However, there are those who might learn better from music, books, or maybe even a mixture. It just depends on what works best for the person.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”