Learning another language

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Robyn Lea
Currently Reading: Why Nations Fail
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robyn-lea.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Learning another language

Post by Robyn Lea »

Elias says that the best way to learn English is through a native speaker. I disagree. Ok, I have to admit I learned to speak Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country. However, I have met people who learned English in a non-English speaking country.

What do you think? What's the best way to learn another language (music, other)? Is it necessary to learn from a "native?"

If you could learn a second or third language which one would you want to learn? Why?
GodfreyAngwech
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godfreyangwech.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch

Post by GodfreyAngwech »

Learning a new language through a native speaker is the best for me. Every language has a lot of dynamics that only a native speaker can understand best. But if I can't get a native speaker then I would opt for class tutorials.
I am really desiring to learn Aramaic. This is because Hebrew is believed to be the first language of mankind.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree it isn't the only way. Some others ways to learn another language is via tutorials, reading, music, and T.V.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eman Frasy
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eman-frasy.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Eman Frasy »

Well, the thinking if Elias is actually repressing our society's thinking. In all the modern and developing countries , except few, the English language is taught by the native speakers. To my view point, there are many countries where English is being taught by the certified ESL teachers and they teach far better than the native speakers. Learning a language is a skill not an obligation which should be restricted to the protagonists or the tag-holders only.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I agree that you can learn a language from other speakers apart from the native speakers but it is still BEST to learn from the native speakers. I support Elias.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It is necessary to learn a 2nd language and I think it is best to learn from a native speaker. I would love to learn Spanish and Japanese someday.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Well, I learned French and a bit of German at the university. My French professor was French, but my German professor wasn't German. I think one can practice languages by reading books and listening to music. However, I got to practice French when I visited France and German when I lived in Germany. I think it mostly depends on the person's commitment to learn a language.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by classicaltwist »

I've learned a few languages now, and while I don't think you need to learn FROM a native speaker, it is important to practice speaking with a native speaker. In my experience, not practicing speaking with someone really slows down the learning process.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

in my opinion, the best way to learn another language is by learning it from someone who is already fluent in the language you intend to learn for example a child will most likely his/her first language from the mother because the mother already knows it. for me, it doesn't matter if that person is a native or not. if they can speak the language and understand it, that is enough to teach it to another person. If I were to learn a second or a third language, it would most probably be French because I would like to travel to France in the future and I would prefer communicating in French while there without necessarily looking for an interpreter.
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

Well, I can learn a new language best through a native speaker or enroll in tutorial. Their are some pronunciation of words that are best pronounced by a native speaker. I fully support Elias.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

No. I believe anyone can learn a language. It need not necessarily be learning from a native. I am an Indian and I speak English better than my own native language, even though I've never been to the US or Uk.
If I had the option to learn any language in the world as second or third language, I'd learn French since it's the universal classy language for delegates or maybe German.
Last edited by Ssinghal on 07 Jul 2017, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

You don't have to be in a country that speaks another language in order to learn a specific language. However, I feel it might be more motivating versus just watching movies, listening to music, using tutorials, etc.

I'm living in Italy for a few years for my husband's work, and if it wasn't for this move, I would never have learned the Italian that I've learned so far. Also, going to the pharmacy, doctor's, and more importantly restaurants forces me to review/learn key words and phrases in order to communicate.

I would love to improve the Spanish I already know and continue to learn Italian.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do think learning through a native speaker is best. I can learn bits and pieces, but learning through a native speaker would be most efficient. I learned French in school, and I've always wanted to be completely fluent in it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

GodfreyAngwech wrote:Learning a new language through a native speaker is the best for me. Every language has a lot of dynamics that only a native speaker can understand best. But if I can't get a native speaker then I would opt for class tutorials.
I am really desiring to learn Aramaic. This is because Hebrew is believed to be the first language of mankind.
I support your desire to learn Aramaic. I am also interested in learning the Aramaic language.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:You don't have to be in a country that speaks another language in order to learn a specific language. However, I feel it might be more motivating versus just watching movies, listening to music, using tutorials, etc.

I'm living in Italy for a few years for my husband's work, and if it wasn't for this move, I would never have learned the Italian that I've learned so far. Also, going to the pharmacy, doctor's, and more importantly restaurants forces me to review/learn key words and phrases in order to communicate.

I would love to improve the Spanish I already know and continue to learn Italian.
How nice! Do you read in Italian and Spanish as well? I have never been to Italy, but would like to visit there one day.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”