Translation

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Translation

Post by Doaa Wael »

Miriam Molina wrote:I laud translators. Without them, I would not be able to read great books like "Les Miserables" or watch wonderful movies like "Life is Beautiful." Nothing beats the original but for us non-linguists, a translation will have to suffice.

For "My Trip to Adele," I enjoyed the read immensely. In the original Arabic version, did the authors translate Adele's songs? I wonder.

ohh that is a very good question. We wouldn't know because it wasn't published, but it a great question to wonder about. I think they would lose their meaning if they got translated
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I am also a translator, and think some fair points are made here. There is something of a debate in translation circles as to whether it should be 'visible' or 'invisible' - I am in my frequently occupied position of 'on the fence'...!!!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Very true. In my review, I actually speculated that the stiffness of the dialogues (which was one of the key problems I've noted) was probably because of the translation. It didn't deter me from reading the book at all. Stieg Larrson's Millennium series was translated as well, and I enjoyed that immensely.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

It is difficult to tell for certain without being able to read the untranslated version, but I could see where there would be some problems that arise in translation. Personally, I felt like the story didn't flow well. The dialogue also often felt odd and unrealistic. Perhaps the translation issue is partially to blame?
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

I thought the translation was actually very good. I thought the wording was exceptional and I never felt as though the book was flat or dull.
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Some parts of the book didn't make sense and the wording was off. The translation was okay, but it was perfect.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”