Religious theme

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Religious theme

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

IsabelMay wrote:Religion and politics are in my opinion something that shouldn't take the main part in books unless they belong to that genre and it is clearly said so. Sometimes it's a bit confusing when the author doesn't mention that the book has a very religious themes. In general, it's always alright if the character is driven by his beliefs, it defines him as a person and explains his motivation. This book is a good example of how to incorporate religion and culture but not in an imposng way. It's also not saying that the specific religion is better than others or somehow more ''right'' which I appreciate. Religious and cultural motifs are quite subtle here and help develop the story and characters.
Well said. I appreciate this great insight. Authors must be sensitive enough to consider their purpose in writing if they really need to include religion as one of their book's central themes is religion.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
IsabelMay wrote:Religion and politics are in my opinion something that shouldn't take the main part in books unless they belong to that genre and it is clearly said so. Sometimes it's a bit confusing when the author doesn't mention that the book has a very religious themes. In general, it's always alright if the character is driven by his beliefs, it defines him as a person and explains his motivation. This book is a good example of how to incorporate religion and culture but not in an imposng way. It's also not saying that the specific religion is better than others or somehow more ''right'' which I appreciate. Religious and cultural motifs are quite subtle here and help develop the story and characters.
Well said. I appreciate this great insight. Authors must be sensitive enough to consider their purpose in writing if they really need to include religion as one of their book's central themes is religion.
I agree! I tend to steer clear from religious-themed books, so like to know in advance about that.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01

Ssinghal wrote:I did not particularly notice any promotion of any particular religion in the book. The magic and emotional connect played a far more important role in the book than the religion.
The emotional connect helped me much to relate to the characters. The emotions of the characters to me are realistic.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Ssinghal wrote:I did not particularly notice any promotion of any particular religion in the book. The magic and emotional connect played a far more important role in the book than the religion.
The emotional connect helped me much to relate to the characters. The emotions of the characters to me are realistic.
I agree their emotions were very realistic and were portrayed well.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I also noticed the religious theme and it also caught my attention.. Putting religion in the book almost points it more at a different reader group. For example, by the author putting their religion in,they are more aimed at people with their own religion, and I specifically read books with Christian themes, while muslim ones other me because it is not what I believe.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I do not think that any promotion of religion was there throughout the book. If there was any reference to a place of worship, it was purely because the story and the plot required it.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
gali

Post by gali »

Ssinghal wrote:I do not think that any promotion of religion was there throughout the book. If there was any reference to a place of worship, it was purely because the story and the plot required it.

I agree, thought there were some musings about faith which I found a bit tedious to read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Donnavila Marie01

ilovechickens777 wrote:I also noticed the religious theme and it also caught my attention.. Putting religion in the book almost points it more at a different reader group. For example, by the author putting their religion in,they are more aimed at people with their own religion, and I specifically read books with Christian themes, while muslim ones other me because it is not what I believe.
There was no promotion of religion in the book at all but in cases when the author wants to create a story to promote his religion, we do not have the right to question it. That's the author's religious reedom.
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I think religion was a part of the book but not as a central idea. The references to cultural differences were much more frequent and emphasized in most chapters
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Although religion was mentioned, I did not find it overwhleming. I felt like it was part of the character development.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

When religion is prominently featured in a book I read, particularly when it's not not a book about religion per se, it turns me off from further reading it. Thus I'm glad that, although mentioned, the book doesn't try to shove religion down the reader's though (some of us are atheists or of completely different religious views).
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:I also noticed the references to Allah and worship, but I didn't pay them any mind. There wasn't too much of it, but some of the characters did rant about it (which made for a tedious read).
I agree (again :) ). I noticed some reference, but they didn't bother me and didn't felt like it was too much.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Yolimari wrote:I don't think religion was a big part of the book as it was culture. The theme of culture in Jordan and Marrakesh was strong throughout the whole book. I enjoyed learning about their traditions, laws, and even superstitions. Religion, however, was involved in the marital problems between Yaser and his wife.

I was thinking the same thing. The culture of the various parts of the Middle East portrayed was a major underlying theme, more so than religion.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Religion seemed to be one of the big problems between Yaser and Mariam. Other than that, I don't think the book dealt with religion as much as culture in the different countries.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I did notice some elements of religion in this book but it was not that much developed. I think it was just mentioned or I can say I didn't take it serious since I am a Christian and am not much conversant with muslim religion.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”