Baby, what's your age?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
May-an Tinangag
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Baby, what's your age?

Post by May-an Tinangag »

For me, age doesn't matter as long as the lovers know how to manage their relationship and as long as they love each other. The 10 years gap is not a hindrance instead it is a challenge to them to see if they truly love each other.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

Is age a huge factor in a relationship for me? Absolutely. In opinion, I prefer being ina relationship with someone I can level with in terms of our way of thinking as opposed to someone who is immature or too mature for me. For example, if we are married we are able to make sound investment decisions because together without one person imposing their ideas on the other out of the other's lack of experience in such matters
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Becky Mlawasi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Becky Mlawasi »

I must say she was too young to even think of dating, they say its best for a man to be older than the woman but she isn't a woman yet in later ages its OK but 13 is just too young.
IshiM
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B01HAOZ1YS

Post by IshiM »

Age is definitely an issue in a relationship to work out. I don't think that it would work out even if Elias has learned about her age in the first place because she is 13, that is too young for his age. I have never dated anyone who is younger than me. A little older but never younger.
Muthoni Ikenye
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Muthoni Ikenye »

Its very important to follow the laws set .Either way,being under age will always bring lots of problems to both sides
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think that it does depend on age. Like what you said if the age gap was 3 years from 23 to 26 is a lot different from 13 to 16. It is quite shocking to hear about people who date with a huge age difference like 20 years plus.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ValEtt
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valett.html
Latest Review: "Murders in Progress" by Eldon Cene

Post by ValEtt »

First and foremost, I think laws regarding appropriate ages for dating are important. When I was a teen I thought there were exceptions to that rule, but looking back now I definitely think an age gap relationship involving a teenager and an adult will ultimately be unhealthy. Sure, it could be written about romantically as love at first sight (I love Lolita as much as the next book nerd), but in reality, love doesn't and shouldn't blind all decision-making. If someone older is dating someone under 18, they made a conscious choice to ignore not only the law but also prevailing wisdom about what is harmful or confusing to a young person's psyche.

All of that being said, I think that once two people are past the age of consent and are in an even power dynamic, anything is fine. I have a tendency to be attracted to people who are older than me; I have always gravitated toward them and felt most comfortable around them. Outside the parameters listed above, I think it's silly to put a number restriction on who you can and can't love. It's also belittling and oh-so-frustrating for someone older to assume that they can never connect with someone younger due to some vague and unnamed difference in life experiences.
Latest Review: "Murders in Progress" by Eldon Cene
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I don't think age is all the important as long as both are adults.
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

Like a lot of people are saying, how mature each of you are really affects the outcome. When I was younger, I dated a boy that was 4 years younger than me. It wasn't weird because he was very mature. The only thing that made it weird was when people would ask how old he was. I feel that age is a stigma put up for people to judge on. It is true that the younger you are the more real the age difference feels. But I feel that everyone should mind their own business and let your heart love who it wants.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Shaimaa »

I was shocked when I read about her age. A few years gap is okay for me, even if it meant a year or two younger. Or up to five years older, maybe.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Elias' relationship evidently would not have worked, as their ages differed so much, not because of the actual ages, but because of the maturity levels. I do agree that it was questionable why he didn't figure it out earlier, but as some say "love is blind." He may have been so consumed with the thrill of loving her that he let her little indiscretions slip his mind.
I, personally do not fancy guys younger than me. More often than not they don't match up in maturity, but my husband is 4 years my senior and we met when i was 17 and he was 21. In some areas, our relationship would have been banned from the start, but by the time i was 20 and he was 24, it didn't matter.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

It is n normal for a man to be older than his lady, but it's not advisable at such tender age. 13 yrs? She's still a kid.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
juralyn
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by juralyn »

its a puppy love because they are still young..but that doesnt important,age doesn't matter,right?
_hoewings
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by _hoewings »

Age is just a number , nothing should limit you to loving someone just because they are older or younger. Just be sure that no one is forcing you into anything you dont want to be doing then all will be fne
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Jaime Lync wrote:Elias fell in love with an underage girl. He had no idea that she was underage at the time their emotional affair began to bloom. Do you think it would have been possible for their love interest in each other to flourish if Elias knew that she was underage from the start?
I can testify that a girl was showing interest in me but when we found out our age difference we were like - Nope, this ain't happening. I think she must have been 13 and I was 16 then. I know if she was 23 and I was 26 that 3-year gap would have been nothing but at that stage those 3 years is huge.
Do you try avoiding getting involved with people younger than you? Is age a huge factor when it comes to romantic relationships? (obviously we should obey the law)
In case of minors, yes this is definitely an issue since at their age small gaps mean a lot. however, in adults I believe it all depends upon the love and connection they feel for and with each other. Remember when you're in love, Age is just a number...
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”