Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

Post by Insomniac07 »

There are several factors that could influence a person's way of thinking Our upbringing, our peers, the society we live in, etc., contribute to the kind of people we become. So to say 'Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus' just stereotypes the two genders. People are different because we don't experience the same things in the same way. It isn't always about their gender. Not all men are brash or aggressive and, not all women are emotional or illogical.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Rebeccaej wrote:There's a lot more variation within each group then between the groups, and even THAT variation is heavily influenced by socialization.

Maybe there are biological differences, but they're pretty insignificant compared to individual variation.
Yup. I agree. Variations may either be biological, group/ culture orientation but at the end of the day, understanding between both parties is what matters.
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

Amagine wrote:I would say that men and women are from the same planet. We simply speak different languages and need to work harder in trying to understand one another.
Exactly. What's more important is to be open to each other and embrace communication.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

PRAXIDES wrote:
Amagine wrote:I would say that men and women are from the same planet. We simply speak different languages and need to work harder in trying to understand one another.
Exactly. What's more important is to be open to each other and embrace communication.
:ditto: It is all about good communication.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01

I am glad that what transpires is the realization that men and women are different but this does not serve as a comparison on who is better or worse but it is more on trying to overcome these differences.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I am glad that what transpires is the realization that men and women are different but this does not serve as a comparison on who is better or worse but it is more on trying to overcome these differences.
Ditto! We may be different, but we have a lot in common too.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01

Gravy wrote:I think there are definitely differences between men and women, but I have to question how much is caused by biological gender, and how much is caused by our culture and gender stereotypes.

Despite the differences, I agree with Jaime Lync. We're all individuals. We're all unique. And most people have some quality that would culturally defy their gender.
I agree with your opinions. In reality, we cannot discount the fact that differences bring families to pieces.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Gravy wrote:I think there are definitely differences between men and women, but I have to question how much is caused by biological gender, and how much is caused by our culture and gender stereotypes.

Despite the differences, I agree with Jaime Lync. We're all individuals. We're all unique. And most people have some quality that would culturally defy their gender.
I agree with your opinions. In reality, we cannot discount the fact that differences bring families to pieces.
They also make life interesting. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I don't believe that difference between men and women can be related to them coming from different planets. This is a serious mith. What I can say is that it about history; men believed to be superior than women because in the olden days it was men who were normally participating in wars since they believed to be more energetic. So women also accepted to be inferior, however much they try to discard this by campaigning for gender equality, some of them will still believe they are inferior. That's why most of the time they think that, everything bad that will come, it is men to be blamed.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
gali

Post by gali »

Jeconiaomolo wrote:I don't believe that difference between men and women can be related to them coming from different planets. This is a serious mith. What I can say is that it about history; men believed to be superior than women because in the olden days it was men who were normally participating in wars since they believed to be more energetic. So women also accepted to be inferior, however much they try to discard this by campaigning for gender equality, some of them will still believe they are inferior. That's why most of the time they think that, everything bad that will come, it is men to be blamed.
That may be the case, but sadly, in some countries, women are still considered inferior by men and lack any rights to speak of.
A retired Admin/Mod

indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by indubitabubbly »

I would agree that, from my experience, gender stereotypes and learned behavior are more at fault for the differences between men and women. Obviously there will always be biology at play, but there are also major differences between people with similar biological make-ups.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
BaBraiden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BaBraiden »

Naturally apart from Gender which does not give a lot difference as long as character of a person is concerned, other factors on day to day basis for instance when it comes to meeting our daily duties as men or women one may think the two creatures are from different planets. However, regardless of how much ready we are to meet our core duties based on the gender, there is no person being male or female that should have to blame the other during problems since both have a duty to do everything to the best levels. Success of both needs each other's support for none is complete without the other.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Ironically, I've often found the same to be true of other women and myself.

I think we all speak our own language, and it's up to the individual to learn to speak others', as well as to teach others to speak theirs.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I really love the way you put it. It's not like men and women are different species, we just really need to learn to communicate better.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

We all think and do things differently
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”