View on relationships

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

View on relationships

Post by gali »

We have two set of relationships in this book. On one hand, we have Nadia who believes that one should not stay in an abusing relationship for the sake of the kids. Do not mistake, though, she loves her son more than life itself and would do anything to make him happy. On the other hand, we have Yaser who is just the opposite of her. He sacrifices his honor and stays in an unfulfilling marriage for his children's sake. I support Nadia's view. Which side are you? How would you act?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
masterhawk88
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

Both actually. I'd never stand for abuse, but on the other hand, for my kids I think I'd try to make an unfulfilling relationship work.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I think their situations are too different to compare because abuse is not the same as neglect. That said I'd probably say Yaser's side. My parents split up when I was about 10 or 11, and there are just no words to explain the pain that comes from a broken home.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I agree with you. A person should not be in a abusive relationship because that is gonna harm the innocence of kids. Also, a person cannot raise kids in a healthy environment being in an unhealthy relationship.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This is a great question! I really agree with you though, I was so proud of Nadia for standing up for herself and wanting a better life.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I was very much on Nadia's side and she was in such a difficult situation. I thought it was good of the authors' to broach this subject, bringing to light how in some countries women have very little say and need the man of the family to give permission.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I am unable to compare between the two situations. Maybe because I am not yet married. But an abusive relationship is a big no for me. Unfulfilling marriages can be improved with some effort I guess.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
ULLAVU
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ULLAVU »

As long as you started a relationship to the extend of having children, its better to withstand the abusive relation for the sake of children and try to mend it for the better future

-- 02 Jul 2017, 07:46 --

No matter how bad things are, you've got what it takes to make it better. You are smarter, stronger and healthier than you realize. Believe in yourself, and never ever give up on you! Both for your sake and that of a child you have to withstand an abusive relationship,
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I would not stand for an abusive/unfulfilling relationship either, and if I had children, I'd take them with me. No child can thrive in a tense household.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ULLAVU wrote:As long as you started a relationship to the extend of having children, its better to withstand the abusive relation for the sake of children and try to mend it for the better future

-- 02 Jul 2017, 07:46 --

No matter how bad things are, you've got what it takes to make it better. You are smarter, stronger and healthier than you realize. Believe in yourself, and never ever give up on you! Both for your sake and that of a child you have to withstand an abusive relationship,
I don't think one should withstand the abusive relationship for the sake of the kids. It isn't healthy for the kids to see his parent abused by the other spouse.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

The relationships presented are just a bit too different for an accurate comparison. One is abusive while the other is unfulfilling. In the case of spousal abuse, staying with the abuser is harmful to everyone involved. Now, therapy or counseling could help, but separation is usually the best route. And if a marriage is no longer happy, separation is probably the best as well.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I have to agree with Ricki that it is hard to actually compare both relationships but I think it is important to give it 200% to make a marriage work, especially when children are involved. In Nadia's case, her husband abused her both physically and emotionally - that is a no, no and I totally agree with her choice to divorce him.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think that if a relationship is unhealthy in any manner, it should be ended, especially if children are involved. Children are extremely impressionable, and they should not be raised to believe that being abused, or simply unhappy, in a relationship is normal or acceptable.
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Mariam wasn't a monster like Nadia's “X”. Mariam was simply a regimented strong minded person. That can change which seemed to be the case in Yaser and Mariam's final chapter. Both Nadia and Yaser struggled with freedom and control issues. In this story, I believe both of them found compromises in their search for what they defined as freedom.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I have to say that, sometimes, a broken home would be better for the kids. When the alternative is having unhappy and abusive parents, having one good, happy, loving parent would be my choice.
AliceofX wrote:I think their situations are too different to compare because abuse is not the same as neglect. That said I'd probably say Yaser's side. My parents split up when I was about 10 or 11, and there are just no words to explain the pain that comes from a broken home.
I agree, the two are completely seperate.

I'm sorry you went through that. :(

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”