The ending

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: The ending

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
micoleon13 wrote:I was also expecting the characters to overlap and to meet up at the concert. It did also feel a little disappointing that there wasn't a happy ending for them all, but, as said above, it does make the story, and the characters, much more realistic.
Well, at first, I was expecting that the three main characters will cross their way but I am still satisfied with the ending. It gave me the thought that somewhere in this wide world, we journey with people because of our similar experience in life.
I felt it was more satisfying if their path did cross. It would have tightened the story.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

gali wrote: I felt it was more satisfying if their path did cross. It would have tightened the story.
With how the book is currently written, would it have made sense for the characters' paths to cross without it seeming forced?

I understand the comments about wanting a happy, neat ending for everyone. I understand wanting the stories to meet. Each character's story is unique enough to be its own book that I don't see how they could meet, unless it was for two seconds as a background character in someone else's story (e.g.: Elias's plane was delayed because some lady was screaming for her son. Yaser made it to Italy but decided to sell his ticket, conveniently to Elias, and return home immediately).
gali

Post by gali »

Gnome wrote:
gali wrote: I felt it was more satisfying if their path did cross. It would have tightened the story.
With how the book is currently written, would it have made sense for the characters' paths to cross without it seeming forced?

I understand the comments about wanting a happy, neat ending for everyone. I understand wanting the stories to meet. Each character's story is unique enough to be its own book that I don't see how they could meet, unless it was for two seconds as a background character in someone else's story (e.g.: Elias's plane was delayed because some lady was screaming for her son. Yaser made it to Italy but decided to sell his ticket, conveniently to Elias, and return home immediately).
Maybe by all of them attending the concert. :eusa-think:

Lol, I like your additions to the tale. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

It was nice to see how all the storylines ended up in one place. No, I didn't really feel rushed but just disconnected at first.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
gali

Post by gali »

Jeyran Main wrote:It was nice to see how all the storylines ended up in one place. No, I didn't really feel rushed but just disconnected at first.
Indeed, it was. I felt it was rushed and was surprised it ended as it did.
A retired Admin/Mod

Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

gali wrote: Maybe by all of them attending the concert. :eusa-think:
I'll rephrase what I was thinking. Would it be enough for the to be at the same place at the same time or would it feel forced - because deus ex machina and authors can do anything. Would the characters have to actually interact for a satisfying ending?
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I think everyone was expecting the ending to be at the concert where all of them would cross paths. That would be perfect but also very predictable. I think the co-authors did a good job in making the ending unpredictable. Also, even though not everyone got to watch Adele at the concert, I think the endings made the characters even more real. I mean not everyone gets a happy ever after in real life, right?
RanaTarek
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ranatarek.html
Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin

Post by RanaTarek »

Gnome wrote:I felt like the endings fit the theme of Adele's music. Her most popular songs have bittersweet themes that I felt were represented by leaving some strings hanging. There was a bit of rushing but I don't feel it ruined the ending. It helped me feel like the characters were on the road to their happy endings without forcing everything into a pretty package.
totally agree .while reading the endings adele was singing in my mind as a background sound .they totally fit with her music .

-- 11 Jul 2017, 20:54 --
GCamer wrote:I think everyone was expecting the ending to be at the concert where all of them would cross paths. That would be perfect but also very predictable. I think the co-authors did a good job in making the ending unpredictable. Also, even though not everyone got to watch Adele at the concert, I think the endings made the characters even more real. I mean not everyone gets a happy ever after in real life, right?
Exactly .
every end was real i think if the endings were as everyone expecting them they will be far away from reality .
Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
gali

Post by gali »

Gnome wrote:
gali wrote: Maybe by all of them attending the concert. :eusa-think:
I'll rephrase what I was thinking. Would it be enough for the to be at the same place at the same time or would it feel forced - because deus ex machina and authors can do anything. Would the characters have to actually interact for a satisfying ending?
For me, it would be enough if they were just at the same place. They don't necessarily have to interact for a satisfying ending.

-- July 12th, 2017, 9:23 am --
GCamer wrote:I think everyone was expecting the ending to be at the concert where all of them would cross paths. That would be perfect but also very predictable. I think the co-authors did a good job in making the ending unpredictable. Also, even though not everyone got to watch Adele at the concert, I think the endings made the characters even more real. I mean not everyone gets a happy ever after in real life, right?
I agree that the lack of a happy ever after made it more unpredictable.
A retired Admin/Mod

SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I also expected for the characters to meet. But the only thing that disappointed me was that they all saw some kind of solution for their problems in Adele's concert but only one character actually goes to it. It was kind of sad
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
gali

Post by gali »

SilviaP21 wrote:I also expected for the characters to meet. But the only thing that disappointed me was that they all saw some kind of solution for their problems in Adele's concert but only one character actually goes to it. It was kind of sad
It was sad, I agree.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:What did you think about the ending? I thought it was rather rushed, and found it odd that the story lines didn't cross. I like it that not all story lines ended in a happily ever after, though.
I also felt the ending was rushed and would have liked the characters' storylines to have some connection in some way. Also, I felt there was so many unanswered questions that left me unsatisfied.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:What did you think about the ending? I thought it was rather rushed, and found it odd that the story lines didn't cross. I like it that not all story lines ended in a happily ever after, though.
I also felt the ending was rushed and would have liked the characters' storylines to have some connection in some way. Also, I felt there was so many unanswered questions that left me unsatisfied.
I agree, the authors didn't tie up all the loose ends.
A retired Admin/Mod

Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I agree. It ended abruptly, which was pretty unfair with the fact that all stories were described so well and the ending was given little emphasis. All the battles, the struggles they all went through, they all seemed for nothing. This is how I felt.
gali

Post by gali »

Athena Moon wrote:I agree. It ended abruptly, which was pretty unfair with the fact that all stories were described so well and the ending was given little emphasis. All the battles, the struggles they all went through, they all seemed for nothing. This is how I felt.
Indeed, it seems they all struggled for nothing.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”