Overall Rating and Opinion of My Trip to Adele

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of My Trip to Adele

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf »

I rate it a 3 out of 4. I think it has some drawbacks since it is a translated work. The original feelings of the authors' cannot be conveyed perfectly when translated into another language.

-- 11 Jul 2017, 00:01 --

I rate it a 3 out of 4. I think it has some drawbacks since it is a translated work. The original feelings of the authors' cannot be conveyed perfectly when translated into another language.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Ayisha M Ashruf wrote:I rate it a 3 out of 4. I think it has some drawbacks since it is a translated work. The original feelings of the authors' cannot be conveyed perfectly when translated into another language.

-- 11 Jul 2017, 00:01 --

I agree it may have missed the mark due to the translation.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

PRAXIDES wrote:A part from Nadia I dint seem to connect with any other character. It is an easy to read book but with few errors.I find it interesting though because the issues addressed in the book is a true reflection of what is happening in the Society today. I'd recommend anyone to read the book.
This is indeed a true reflection of what is happening in the society because the authors perfectly crafted the book to represent several realities.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
PRAXIDES wrote:A part from Nadia I dint seem to connect with any other character. It is an easy to read book but with few errors.I find it interesting though because the issues addressed in the book is a true reflection of what is happening in the Society today. I'd recommend anyone to read the book.
This is indeed a true reflection of what is happening in the society because the authors perfectly crafted the book to represent several realities.
Indeed! The author did that very well, I agree.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

A definite 4 on 4, without a doubt! It was a really good book, with all the elements of love, laughter, arguments, suspense, childhood and a love for Adele. It showed that music could bring everyone together, despite whatever problems they were facing in life. Thank you for a wonderful book!
gali

Post by gali »

Swara Sangeet wrote:A definite 4 on 4, without a doubt! It was a really good book, with all the elements of love, laughter, arguments, suspense, childhood and a love for Adele. It showed that music could bring everyone together, despite whatever problems they were facing in life. Thank you for a wonderful book!
I am glad you liked it so much. I enjoy it as well, but less than you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Bella Njenga
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Bella Njenga »

Unlike what i am reading from other reviews, personally, I enjoyed the book immensely. Especially how the writer used music to bring out the stories that are hidden behind each and every lyric.According to me, that was very creative and Intriguing all in one package. i am no fan of Adele and most of the songs in the book i didn't even know but i read it with an open mind.

I rate it 3 out of 4 cause its a definite read and i would and have recommended it to other people.I mean, i could hardly put it down once i started reading it even though it was an easy read. :)
gali

Post by gali »

Bella Njenga wrote:Unlike what i am reading from other reviews, personally, I enjoyed the book immensely. Especially how the writer used music to bring out the stories that are hidden behind each and every lyric.According to me, that was very creative and Intriguing all in one package. i am no fan of Adele and most of the songs in the book i didn't even know but i read it with an open mind.

I rate it 3 out of 4 cause its a definite read and i would and have recommended it to other people.I mean, i could hardly put it down once i started reading it even though it was an easy read. :)
I am glad you enjoyed it. I am not a fan of Adele either. I prefer to listen to songs and not reading them, so this part bored me.
A retired Admin/Mod

Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Swara Sangeet wrote:A definite 4 on 4, without a doubt! It was a really good book, with all the elements of love, laughter, arguments, suspense, childhood and a love for Adele. It showed that music could bring everyone together, despite whatever problems they were facing in life. Thank you for a wonderful book!
I support the rate you gave because I also enjoyed journeying with the characters in the book.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
I support the rate you gave because I also enjoyed journeying with the characters in the book.
I enjoyed it to a degree. I save such a high rating to books that leave me overwhelmed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: I finished the book a couple of days ago and while I found it an easy read, I didn't connect with the tale or the characters. The characters tended to philosophize too much about life and religion, which was tedious to read at times. Even Nadia, who was far my favorite, tended to do that. In addition, each chapter ended with an excerpt of Adele’s lyrics. While it fit the telling, after awhile I skipped them. I am not an Adele fan, so quite frankly the many references to her and her music bored me.

The authors convey contradictory messages in their tale. On one hand, there was the message that one should not stay in an abused marriage for the sake of the kids (aka Nadia). On the other hand, Yaser did just the opposite and sacrificed himself for his kids.

I found the story of Elias the hardest to connect to. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I read that Malika's mom prostituted her to men. Her mom! And Malika was only thirteen years old at that time! They felt that the profession of the father (a street performer) wasn't dignified enough. And prostitution is?? I felt the authors didn't condemn it strongly enough.

Regarding the writing, I found it rather flat and not free from errors either. I found a few typos and other errors such as missing words. In some parts, the writing didn't flow very well, and some of the dialogues were too simple. Overall, I found it an ok read, and wasn't bored by the tale, so decided to rate it 2 out of 4.
Your review of this book is exactly how I felt. It was easy to read, but it was hard to relate to any of the characters, especially Elias. He story was not only a bit odd, with the magic, but with some plot holes. Also, I didn't feel like any of the characters grew or developed in any way.

I found the arguments between Yaser and Mariam annoying and repetitive. There also didn't seem to be any real resolutions for the characters, and I was surprised by the hype the book was able Adele that only one made it to the concert.

It was an okay read for me too, so I gave it a 2 out of 4 stars, as well.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
call_me_kith
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-call-me-kith.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by call_me_kith »

While I haven't reviewed the book just yet, so far so good, I agree with Naval, the character build up does give different kinds of readers a placement in the tale... Maybe I'll have a different opinion when done reading the book... Again, so far, so good.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote: I finished the book a couple of days ago and while I found it an easy read, I didn't connect with the tale or the characters. The characters tended to philosophize too much about life and religion, which was tedious to read at times. Even Nadia, who was far my favorite, tended to do that. In addition, each chapter ended with an excerpt of Adele’s lyrics. While it fit the telling, after awhile I skipped them. I am not an Adele fan, so quite frankly the many references to her and her music bored me.

The authors convey contradictory messages in their tale. On one hand, there was the message that one should not stay in an abused marriage for the sake of the kids (aka Nadia). On the other hand, Yaser did just the opposite and sacrificed himself for his kids.

I found the story of Elias the hardest to connect to. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I read that Malika's mom prostituted her to men. Her mom! And Malika was only thirteen years old at that time! They felt that the profession of the father (a street performer) wasn't dignified enough. And prostitution is?? I felt the authors didn't condemn it strongly enough.

Regarding the writing, I found it rather flat and not free from errors either. I found a few typos and other errors such as missing words. In some parts, the writing didn't flow very well, and some of the dialogues were too simple. Overall, I found it an ok read, and wasn't bored by the tale, so decided to rate it 2 out of 4.
Your review of this book is exactly how I felt. It was easy to read, but it was hard to relate to any of the characters, especially Elias. He story was not only a bit odd, with the magic, but with some plot holes. Also, I didn't feel like any of the characters grew or developed in any way.

I found the arguments between Yaser and Mariam annoying and repetitive. There also didn't seem to be any real resolutions for the characters, and I was surprised by the hype the book was able Adele that only one made it to the concert.

It was an okay read for me too, so I gave it a 2 out of 4 stars, as well.
Thank you. I agree about the plot holes and the rest. :tiphat:

-- July 18th, 2017, 8:16 am --
call_me_kith wrote:While I haven't reviewed the book just yet, so far so good, I agree with Naval, the character build up does give different kinds of readers a placement in the tale... Maybe I'll have a different opinion when done reading the book... Again, so far, so good.
I am glad you enjoy it so far.
A retired Admin/Mod

jenniferrundial725
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by jenniferrundial725 »

Im giving2/4. Im not finished yet but intersting. I think poverty is one thing thats why her mom do that to her daughter.but alway stan up what faced them all.after that there will be good happened to us .

-- 18 Jul 2017, 00:53 --

Im not finished yet in that story.but I think its interesting.. the stry of the mon on her daughter.i think poverty luck money not all do that mon to her daughtershe doesnt want but she need to do that.all we need to do is facing the truth and stand confident and do something to be strong in everything going to happen to us.mke it going to right. :cry2: :shifty: :hand:
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thank you for your frank review. I tend not to like books which are too preachy or where the characters are implausibly insightful about their own situations. I am also dubious about mixing narrative with song lyrics and have seen this done clumsily more often than not. I suspect my tastes are similar to your own, although I would be interested to read some more positive reviews to get a balanced impression of this book.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”