Overall Rating and Opinion of My Trip to Adele

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall Rating and Opinion of My Trip to Adele

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the July 2017 Book of the Month, "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

What is your overall opinion of "My Trip to Adele"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on bookshelves.

-- July 2nd, 2017, 7:52 am --

I finished the book a couple of days ago and while I found it an easy read, I didn't connect with the tale or the characters. The characters tended to philosophize too much about life and religion, which was tedious to read at times. Even Nadia, who was far my favorite, tended to do that. In addition, each chapter ended with an excerpt of Adele’s lyrics. While it fit the telling, after awhile I skipped them. I am not an Adele fan, so quite frankly the many references to her and her music bored me.

The authors convey contradictory messages in their tale. On one hand, there was the message that one should not stay in an abused marriage for the sake of the kids (aka Nadia). On the other hand, Yaser did just the opposite and sacrificed himself for his kids.

I found the story of Elias the hardest to connect to. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I read that Malika's mom prostituted her to men. Her mom! And Malika was only thirteen years old at that time! They felt that the profession of the father (a street performer) wasn't dignified enough. And prostitution is?? I felt the authors didn't condemn it strongly enough.

Regarding the writing, I found it rather flat and not free from errors either. I found a few typos and other errors such as missing words. In some parts, the writing didn't flow very well, and some of the dialogues were too simple. Overall, I found it an ok read, and wasn't bored by the tale, so decided to rate it 2 out of 4.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I like the review. You have given a true insight of the book and a genuine opinion. I don't find the story of the book interesting and doubt that I would prefer reading such a book.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I rated this 3 out of 4 stars... I go into more detail in my review but I didn't rate it any higher as I didn't agree with some of the messages, but some parts were good (such as talking about independent women, the value of family etc)
I would recommend people do give it a go, as the 3 main characters are all different so different readers might connect to different ones.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I gave it 2/4. You can read my full review, but basically I thought it was good but I didn't personally like it. Also, the fact that Elias's story was a mess, and didn't really rhyme with the stories of Nadia and Yaser, really lowered the book for me.
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

I agree as well that it is not a one theme book. It has many different messages and they don't always flow. But of course, you may not like the whole book, as it focus on different characters and different stories, but you could connect to one of them.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not a big fan of the book either. The characters weren't really interesting and the plot failed to intrigue me. I also rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I am not much of a fan of Adele but her lyrics were very interesting to me. I also realized that the characters were over dramatic at times and religion was actually a big part in the book but I love all those things.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I gave the book 4/4 in my review. I enjoyed the book and definitely felt it was worth the read. I'm not sure I would read the book a second time but I would reccomended it as an easy-ish read.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I am still halfway so I cannot yet give my rating. I like the book unlike the others who find the book flat or boring. I like the story maybe because I can relate to Adele's songs.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I am still halfway so I cannot yet give my rating. I like the book unlike the others who find the book flat or boring. I like the story maybe because I can relate to Adele's songs.
I can also relate to Adele's songs, somehow. God, I keep on reading all these reviews. I should be reading the book and see for myself.
"Do not take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway."
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

CHL wrote:
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:I am still halfway so I cannot yet give my rating. I like the book unlike the others who find the book flat or boring. I like the story maybe because I can relate to Adele's songs.
I can also relate to Adele's songs, somehow. God, I keep on reading all these reviews. I should be reading the book and see for myself.
You should read the book and give us your view on it. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I found My Trip To Adele to be a quite interesting. I loved the characters and found it very easy to relate to them. In spite of the slight irritation caused by the repetition of Adele's lyrics which seemed to be forced in, and the deep philosophical talks, the overall story of each of the characters provides for a good read
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. It's an interesting book but I had no problem when I had to stop reading it and do something else. For me a great book is one that always makes me want to read more and this just wasn't it.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

I want to read the book, just so that a get a clear view of it even though i am not an Adele kind of person, then il come to post my opinion about it, i find it fascinating that was rated 2 by one reviewer and 4 by the other.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Your review was quite honest and straightforward. Personally, this doesn't look like the kind of book that I'd be interested in reading.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”