Overall Rating and Opinion of My Trip to Adele

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of My Trip to Adele

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Overall, I did not particularly like this book. I think that the themes were important, but I could not find a personal connection to any of the characters.
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

Generally the book is informative and entertaining. The three sets of relationships have been faced with two things in common. Firstly, they have disappointment and desperation towards working relationships and secondly, they are connected through their love of Adele and their love to attend her concert.

I love the manner in which the author has outlined and described the struggles in the three relationships. They all are aimed at resurrecting that which seems to be a closed chapter.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

gali wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 22:33 This is a discussion topic for the July 2017 Book of the Month, "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

What is your overall opinion of "My Trip to Adele"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on bookshelves.

-- July 2nd, 2017, 7:52 am --

I finished the book a couple of days ago and while I found it an easy read, I didn't connect with the tale or the characters. The characters tended to philosophize too much about life and religion, which was tedious to read at times. Even Nadia, who was far my favorite, tended to do that. In addition, each chapter ended with an excerpt of Adele’s lyrics. While it fit the telling, after awhile I skipped them. I am not an Adele fan, so quite frankly the many references to her and her music bored me.

The authors convey contradictory messages in their tale. On one hand, there was the message that one should not stay in an abused marriage for the sake of the kids (aka Nadia). On the other hand, Yaser did just the opposite and sacrificed himself for his kids.

I found the story of Elias the hardest to connect to. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I read that Malika's mom prostituted her to men. Her mom! And Malika was only thirteen years old at that time! They felt that the profession of the father (a street performer) wasn't dignified enough. And prostitution is?? I felt the authors didn't condemn it strongly enough.

Regarding the writing, I found it rather flat and not free from errors either. I found a few typos and other errors such as missing words. In some parts, the writing didn't flow very well, and some of the dialogues were too simple. Overall, I found it an ok read, and wasn't bored by the tale, so decided to rate it 2 out of 4.
I liked everything about the book; all three sets of characters appealed to me. I was really mesmerized by these stories, and couldn't stop reading. 4 out of 4
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I agree with the consensus that the book fell a little bit flat, but as someone who does a fair bit of philosophizing myself, I connected to a lot of the characters, especially Nadia.
it is what it is ....

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”