Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Monthly Genre Discussion » June/July 2017 Genre Dicscussion

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

June/July Genre Discussion

For June and July, we will be reading beach/vacation books.

June/July Genre Discussion

Post Number:#1 by kio
» 16 Jun 2017, 20:18

Sorry guys, wifi crashed on laptop, so I decided to run this discussion for two months. For this month, pick a beach/vacation read. This can be a book that takes place during the summer, on a beach, or is a book you'd read on a road trip (boredom buster read).

What book did you read? What genre was it?
What rating would you give it?
What tools did the author use to draw you into the story? (Ex. characters, intense plot)
What drew you to the book?
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
kio
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: Evermore
Currently Reading: Bone Gap
Bookshelf Size: 538 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: June/July Genre Discussion

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 26 Jun 2017, 11:35

The book that I enjoyed is called, "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han. It is a YA romance novel that is part of a three book series. What drew me to the book was the characters and the descriptive language that the author used. I was reading the book and visualizing a summer house all at once. I believe I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars on bookshelves. I really enjoyed the series and I'm a huge fan of the author!
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -Frederick Douglass
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Tattered Box" by Paul Schumacher
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Little Witch
Bookshelf Size: 692 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#3 by Gingerbo0ks
» 26 Jun 2017, 13:24

A book I enjoyed was Panic by Lauren Oliver. It is a YA mystery which takes place over the summer break but takes the characters on a trip around the town as they take part in dares and challenges in a kind of secret scavenger hunt.
I would give it 4 out of 4 stars, I was drawn to it because I liked the author's other work and was looking for an easy to read stand alone novel to read. I read it a couple of summers ago. It was fast paced and I enjoyed seeing what lengths the characters would go to to win challenges against their peers.
“One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: Juliana
Bookshelf Size: 155 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#4 by Naval Aulakh
» 09 Jul 2017, 22:05

I have recently read Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris. I loved this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It has some beach scenes in it.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Naval Aulakh's Latest Review: "Moonful of Love" by Magus Tor
Naval Aulakh

Currently Reading: Curve Couture
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 81%

Post Number:#5 by gaporter
» 14 Jul 2017, 16:12

I think the only book I own about anything related to summer or vacations is called "Deaths Excellent Vacation." It's a short story compilation by Charlaine Harris and other writers about supernatural creatures going on vacations or otherwise taking a break from their supernatural activities. It includes a funny Sookie Stackhouse story, which is the reason why I was interested in the first place, and some of the stories are quite memorable.
gaporter

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 66%

Post Number:#6 by Sophie11
» 15 Jul 2017, 04:08

I have never had a summer read before, mybe i will try one of your suggestions, although it's definitely not summer this side of the world 8) :lol:

-- 15 Jul 2017, 04:11 --

I have never had a summer read before, maybe i will try one of your suggestions, although it's definitely not summer this side of the world 8) :lol:
Sophie11's Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Sophie11

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 47%

Post Number:#7 by EmSwan
» 21 Jul 2017, 08:44

The book I read was 'the Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I would read this as a boredom buster and as it's partially set in the summer, this is because I last read it over a year ago when I was quite ill, so my memory of it is fuzzy, so I feel I should read it again, however I was initially drawn to it for the reputation of it as a classic. I do recall finding the use of language very interesting, compared to modern language, as it shows very well how the vocabulary used can vary so intensely between culture, time and social standing.
EmSwan's Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
EmSwan

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by smart24
» 28 Jul 2017, 18:53

I will have to read this book
smart24

Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29 books
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)

Post Number:#9 by Innocent chinenye
» 20 Sep 2017, 07:07

The book I enjoyed was From Drift To Shift by Jody B Miller. Is a non-fiction book that characterizes how change brings true meaning and happiness to your work and life. I rate the 4 out of 4 stars because the author sets out to fufill her pledge to the readers in herself-help book.
Innocent chinenye's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Innocent chinenye

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 100%