Araby by James Joyce

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Esperanza1988
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Esperanza1988 »

Thanks for sharing your idea. It is brilliant!
twilightchick792

Post by twilightchick792 »

very wild short stoy
mrjerseys

Post by mrjerseys »

When she addressed the first words to me I was so confused that I did not know what to answer. She asked me was I going to Araby.
cahillcahill

Post by cahillcahill »

This is my one of favourite by James Joyce. I always enjoy It is good to read Arabic stories. Thank you
tobeywilson

Post by tobeywilson »

I just picked up dubliners for two dollars at a book sale. I have a massive crush on how Joyce makes emotion fill a page an subsequently the mind. The disappointment in this piece is almost palpable, like pouring milk in the last bowl of your favorite cereal and then discovering the milk had spoiled, or drinking an irish car bomb too slow. I love it, it's painfully hopeful and then hopeless. I love that everything goes wrong because it doesn't really slow the boy down until the very end, which shows how hopeful he was. Just beautifully written.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

This was one of the first stories assigned in one of the first English classes I took in college. It made me want to be a writer. It shows why short stories are great--every word used so precisely and every word, sentence, and paragraph placed exactly where it must be. Novels are wonderful, but very few I have read have been able to sustain the level of perfection of a great short story over the entire length of the novel. Each is great in its own way--a short story, at its best, is a flawless literary gem and a great novel is a world.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
Hope Against Hope

Post by Hope Against Hope »

Reads much more fluid than "Ulysses" (of which I have read twice and still have yet to comprehend a single word).
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

Very nice review/summary. It sounds interesting. I'm going to go down to Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of this.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
KWill20
Favorite Author: mark zusak
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill20.html
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 17801

Post by KWill20 »

I had to read this in school and it quickly became one of my favorites! Joyce's work in general is amazing!
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
RockStedy
Currently Reading: "Tethered"
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rockstedy.html

Post by RockStedy »

Very good short story. The author connects the reader with the characters instantly to the point we feel involved with the actions of the characters.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I love Araby. James Joyce is just so skilled at creating this little boy with an obsession. He spins this tale in a way that is cute but not stalker-ish which is what most stories tend to be when they are about obsessions with people. Very good story!
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Megbeth84
Currently Reading: The Historian
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megbeth84.html

Post by Megbeth84 »

I love James Joyce and am so glad to see have a chance to read this story again. I love "Dubliners" as a short story collection and this is one of my favorites in it. I have always felt so strongly for this boy and his disappointment. Joyce's adult male figures never do seem to be particularly nice men and that always fascinates me. I always wish to know more about Ireland and the stereotype about Irish men because I always got the sense (probably mostly from my obsession with the movie Nora) that Joyce didn't fit into whatever the masculine ideal is. The men in his stories always feel so remote and separate, a common theme I know but always interesting to me given how angry I am at the Uncle in this story and his casual rejection of the boy and his wishes.
Fatimabashir

Post by Fatimabashir »

It's an amazing and totally killing story that pushed me into my past sadness and tears followed down the cheeks but it caused no pain perhaps a feeling that will live with me forever.I am totally in love with the story
PeachyEssay

Post by PeachyEssay »

Araby. I have never once thought that I would love a text, given to me in English lessons. But this, this is something special.

As short as it is, Joyce skilfully paints an ethereal image which is so simple yet, deep, down to its core. The delicacy of his words in every sentence to the eccentricity and depth of each character, succinctly manifests a thought provoking message by the end.

One of, if not the, most beautiful short story I've come across. Definitely worth a read.
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

I love short stories. They are sometimes more telling than a book. James Joyce did a great job with this one.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”