The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

Read and discuss classic short stories.
lizj97
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Re: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

Post by lizj97 »

I love Poe. I have read most if not all of his works and rereading them always sends the same chills down my spine as I got the from the first reading. Thanks for posting this awesome story.
heatherchoffman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherchoffman.html

Post by heatherchoffman »

I LOVE Poe - and this story is obviously great. Also, I may or may not own an Edgar Allen Poe pop-up book. ;)
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

The Cask is a great story, though I always loved his Telltale Heart the best. Or maybe i shouldn't say love; it's the one that gives me shivers and mental pictures the best, though I haven't read all of them.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Ah, Edgar Allen Poe! What's not to love about him? Dark, mysterious, and always thought-provoking! A truly great American author. It's hard for me to pin down a favorite work of his, but The Raven might be the one. I've always been fascinated by ravens, and I love the poem's rhyming scheme. I recently found out that ravens, like parrots, can be taught to mimic words. If I ever get myself a pet raven, I think we can all guess which word I would teach it to say!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Nikki72

Post by Nikki72 »

I love this story; it's the perfect amount of disturbing. I read it in my freshman English class and I'm happy to have read it again. The Pit and the Pendulum was my favorite by Poe, and I also liked Tell-Tale Heart and Masque of the Red Death.
donaldwolford
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldwolford.html

Post by donaldwolford »

This is a brilliant short story by a brilliant writer. I'll take Poe over Stephen King any day.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

The Mythwriter wrote:This was my first introduction to Poe, I was one of the only people in my class who liked it. Still, "The Fall of the House of Usher" is the one that always haunts me, I don't know why exactly.
I also had to read this for an English class and was one of the only ones who liked it. I think people were turned off by the archaic language. I'm a big fan of Poe and this is one of my favorites! Fall of the House of Usher was great. I think my favorite was Hop-Frog.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
orangehornet57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by orangehornet57 »

This is one story I encountered in both high school and college. Our 11th grade class saw a company perform it, along with: The Tell-Tale Heart, The Black Cat, and Never Bet The Devil Your Head. Our teacher read the latter to us. The company also did some of Mark Twain's plays. Did anyone else see that group? This was during the early 80s.

In college I wrote an essay comparing this story to The Tell-Tale Heart. One big difference is that the killer apparently got away with it. (The company's version had a woman playing the latter's killer.) The narrator apparently told the tale many years later. Was he even suspected? Those festivals probably attracted robbers. Maybe one of them got blamed for the disappearance.

Did this story discourage anyone from drinking wine? It was literally the death of him. I wonder how long it took for him to die. He already had a cold. There could have been a bladder infection from the wine. Regardless, it was a cruel death. This story's still creepy. Poe could scare people without resorting to lots of gore. Perhaps the narrator was finally making a confession. But it doesn't sound like anyone would read his story anytime soon.
Essie_ms

Post by Essie_ms »

Poe is a great favourite of mine. I remember being on holiday in my teenage years and finding a 'kiddie friendly' book of Poe tales. I couldn't believe this story was in it. It had been abridged, and some of the more gruesome details had been toned down - but it still involved a walling up!? There were a couple of other stories, but the only other I remembered in it was The Gold Bug. Such a weird idea for a book...

-- 30 Apr 2015, 18:15 --

Oh yes, I have a friend who was convinced it was called 'The Cask of Armadillos' and was not to be persuaded otherwise - a story about a call of armidillos would be fantastic ;)
Sunshineandmagnolia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunshineandmagnolia.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Sunshineandmagnolia »

I've always loved Poe's work! I once saw a theater production of several of his short stories, and that enticed me to want to read them all, and search out even more!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Cheesey_Reads
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheesey-reads.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Cheesey_Reads »

I have never read that book, but I'm sure it's good.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I was usually never a fan of what we read in English classes, but this was one of the few exceptions.
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I remember this story, still, from a reading assignment back in high school. For some reason, it is a work that has stuck in my mind for quite some time, and I always remember the feeling I had as it describes the wall being sealed up...still an amazing piece of work.
elizabethdimond121
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabethdimond121.html

Post by elizabethdimond121 »

I remember reading this in my freshman year of high school! I was the only one in the class that really liked it. This got me swirling into my love for Poe. Definitely happy I read this
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

I read this first in middle school, and even then I remember wondering what had happened to Poe to make him so Poe!

Return to “Classical Short Reads”