Read and discuss classic short stories.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Re: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

Post by khusnick »

I love this story. It took me two reads the first time I came across it to fully understand it, but I still enjoy it every time.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

This has always been my favorite of Poe's stories. Every time I got the opportunity to cover it in class, I did. Every time I found some new aspect to write about. It's such a fascinating story.
khall1395
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by khall1395 »

I have studied this short story so many times and I still love it! It says so much about human flaws, such as greed. I love how dark Poe's work is, especially regarding imagery. I'm studying to become a teacher and know I will be including "The Cask of Amontillado" in my curriculum.
UN_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by UN_ »

The dark and gothic taste to it, got me entirely. It is amazing. Shall look forward to more works of this extremely unconventional writer.
AMRMullins
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: Book of the New Sun
Bookshelf Size: 450

Post by AMRMullins »

I first read this story when I was young, perhaps 11 or 12, and have revisted it many times since then. Montressor's narrative, ostensibly to a friend but in truth to you, the reader, presents a veneer of reason over a swirling madness that culiminates in a most vicisious revenge, all the more shocking because we are given only the vaguest, most ambiguous justification for it. The Allen Parsons Project wrote an album based on the works of Poe, and from the song bearing the same name as this tale, Fortunato's pleading, plaintive refrain haunts my memory every time I re-read this classic. It remains a tight, powerful portrait of how hate can simmer in the heart of a person, driving us to unspeakable acts, and how deeply we can bury those feelings until finding the opportune time to act on them.
JVIRK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JVIRK »

The best aspect of Poe is how he is so different in every one of his stories. I read the Tell Tale Heart and very minimal amount of resemblance is seen between the two short stories. Other than Poe's always selcouth turn of events, there is little to no resemblance in his writing style. Nobody could tell it was Edgar Allen Poe if both are read without the author's credit. A sincere salute to the remarkable author.
kosgeyvini
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by kosgeyvini »

l love poe for dark themes involve ,but l dislike involving too many characters its bit confusing and harder to capture its fluency story
hana2012
Currently Reading:

Post by hana2012 »

I was browsing and happened to see this and remembered how I used to love the works of Edgar Allan Poe so much when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, I still love his works to this day but I don't love them the way I used to. I guess as a person grows older, her taste in books also changes.
taniaxo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by taniaxo »

I remember when I did a collaboration with my English class for this story! I really like this small story :)
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I love reading this short story. Poe always does a good job creating an ominous atmosphere. This story of revenge may not be a great model for behavior, but it is a great example of good writing.
ShayM08
Currently Reading: The Sound of Spring
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaym08.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by ShayM08 »

I love Poe! The Cask of Amontillado is one of my favorites. The Fall of the House of Usher being another.

What I love about Poe's short stories the most is the level of grandeur he brings to the macabre. It's not a gritty or repulsive darkness, but almost classy. The way he wrote and the way he described these dark images and actions brings out a sense of excitement and a sense of awe in the reader.

He makes dark elements seem beautiful. As twisted as that may be, it's an amazing talent and perspective to have as a writer. The only other author I feel that measures up to Poe's talent to do this, is Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

As with most Poe stories, this seemed dark to me and I was not particularly fond of the story. I did not finish the book as I just found it to be rather odd and boring to me. It was highly recommended by a friend and I would say that if you are a fan of Poe's writing style you will enjoy the story a great deal.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

One of Poe's best works in my opinion. I absolutely love this story. It's a fantastic short story that says so much in so few lines and has a cool dark tone.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I remember this story well. Back in the 70's, our family moved into a house that had a built in newspaper holder (the spots were too small for wine bottles - I tried) and in the basement, there was a part of the foundation that had been resealed leaving a different colored cement between several of the cinder blocks. One of my older sibling had always been creeped out by another room in the basement we called "the blue room" (Every time I hear the song "I'm Blue" by Eiffel 65 I wonder about this blue room and my sibling) and I wondered if it had been some sort of a misplaced fear from reading this story. As my parents were connected to law enforcement, the whole thing seemed very Sherlock Holmesy to me at the time, putting on my little detective shoes...All of Poe's writing is fantastic and several other times characters have been buried in walls...
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Edgar Allen Poe is undoubtedly a unique and talented writer. This story has always captivated me, even though I know the ending. It's actually creepy!

Return to “Classical Short Reads”