The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Sherrieyvon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

Post by Sherrieyvon »

What a twisted mind poe mustve had. Literally a genius but pained in his mind and black in his heart. This man was seriously disillusioned. I wish I could just take a peak of his madness in his dark and musty soul but fear My curiosity would surely swallow me whole. Thank you for tge good read
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This was a required reading back in college. I didn't really get what how dark it was back then, but on reread, I'm just left marveling at Poe's genius.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

A very beautiful reading! Now I know what I missed fifty years ago when I did not fully appreciate this story by Edgar Allan Poe which was assigned to us, to write a review, I feel like writing a review for submission to my teacher, if only I know where she is now
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I have read this story in our textbook at school. I was only 10 years old at the time. I did not even know Poe for what he was. I have not heard of Shakespeare yet.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I read this story in high school. I've always loved Poe and still do. I have his complete works.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
chloe0x29a
Currently Reading: Lustmord
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chloe0x29a »

This had become my favorite Poe story when I read it back in high school. I like Poe but then I read Lovecraft and fell in love with his writings more. I still enjoy the works of Poe but lean more towards Lovecraft out of the two.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I absolutely adore his diction choice. The double ententdre with so many of his phrases make it a fun read no matter how many times I reread it. Breaking down the possible meanings within even the word Amontillado can send readers in many different directions find it can mean re-erected or old rampart of bones. If one considers the names of the characters to also have underlying meanings then it’s possible that Montresor’s treasure (as his name suggests) is probably this very cask of Amontillado which has securely held his victim for the half of a century. Montresor could have consciously freed himself from any guilt over falsely baiting Fortunato into the tombs by telling himself that he truly did take Fortunato to see the cask: his human sized bone erected tomb. Love it!
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Poe has always been my favorite writer, and I'm inspired by his dark writing style a lot. This is one of the first stories I've read by him, and I must say I'm captured by the mysterious beauty of it. Poe manages to portray the theme of revenge and secret murder in a twisted way, and I adore his use of color imagery.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
joannecf2018

Post by joannecf2018 »

This story was quite captivating and the twists in the story line made for a little terror and anticipation. Wonderful short story.

Joanne
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

This was in a collection of Poe's stories I discovered years ago. Though very dark, sometimes disturbingly so, I have always been fascinated with them. I think the only stories I like better than this one are The Pit and the Pendulum and the Dupin stories, especially The Murder of Marie Roget.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a well written story, filled with irony. Fortunato, whose name means fortunate, finds himself the victim of his friend's revenge. Too late, he realizes what is happening. Montresor does not relent in his plan to entomb the person who has hurt him. Poe reflects human character, which takes offense so easily and gloats in getting revenge.
itserrickaa09

Post by itserrickaa09 »

This is a great short story! The suspense builds up as we learn of the main characters intentions. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Ah, memories. Read this back in HS like so many of you. I liked it in a way. It’s one of those things that’s hard to explain. It’s such a freaky horror story on the one hand, but I still like it. I actually did not like The Pit and the Pendulum, that one literally makes me squirm.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This is one of the first stories my husband and I talked about when we were dating. We both love reading and listening to audio books. I remember he saw my big book of Edgar Allan Poe on my book shelf and we started talking about a number of different works by him. That was a good date.
RSchwartz
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by RSchwartz »

My first introduction to Poe was The Raven and I was hooked from there on Poe and authors like him.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”