The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Johnnytwins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Johnnytwins »

I read this to refresh my memory of the story; although ,halfway through I realized I have never read it. Thanks for posting it.
CherokeeGoth

Post by CherokeeGoth »

I read that a couple of months ago. It was an anthology of horror stories and poems, by different authors from diiferent eras called The Book of the Living Dead. I read the Monkey's Paw and it was cool. Not something I would read at night again, you know what I mean? :P
FireDragon

Post by FireDragon »

I remember that story from way back. I can't even remember the first time I read that story but it's awesome :D
Zekes

Post by Zekes »

I'm wondering who had come to the door since it was clearly stated on the story. Anyways, I do like this. Might as well add this to my favorite compilation.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Zekes wrote:I'm wondering who had come to the door since it was clearly stated on the story...
Am I missing a pun there?
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Esperanza1988

Post by Esperanza1988 »

Thanks, It is long and intriguing
Whitemore55

Post by Whitemore55 »

Nice story. I really appreciate this.Don't left your writing. One question, You are professional or hobby? :D
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Love that story. They did a excellent adaptation of it on the old Alfred Hitchcock tv show back in the 60's. That was as scary as the book.
katesolomon
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by katesolomon »

This is a really nice story for both grown ups and children. In fact the moral of the story that says that" we should never try to change our future " is really important.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Not bad for something over 100 years old. Like folklore, getting 'creeped out' can transcend generations.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats like Arthur Machens stories, they were written in the 1890's and early 1900's, and they are still creepy to this day, especially The Great God Pan and The White People.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Stardust0262
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Daughters of Mars
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stardust0262.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Stardust0262 »

I read this many years ago when in junior high school, and thought it quite scary, imagining the dead and mutilated lad returning home and knocking for entry. The Mother's despair of her loss, and then her fevered hope when she realises her boy is returned are heartbreaking.

Now that I am somewhat older the message of the story is all too clear, and there would't be many of us who haven't had a taste of disappointment when attaining a wished for item/situation or relationship.
alexhenry
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexhenry.html
Latest Review: "Butcher Boat" by Frederick Fichman

Post by alexhenry »

Is it about superstition and fear or magic and fate? Either way, you can physically feel the hysteria by the end.
at bookworm617; I'm pretty sure I first heard it in the same way
Latest Review: "Butcher Boat" by Frederick Fichman
danakisor
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Pet Sematary
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by danakisor »

A great short story and a shining example of the anonymous saying 'Be careful what you wish for...'
camilegordon

Post by camilegordon »

it sounds very similar to the peter mayal novel which name escapes me. . . . can any one advise ??

Return to “Classical Short Reads”