The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Sassafrass+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Post by Sassafrass+ »

The lesson of the story isn't lost on anyone. Though from another perspective, it promotes the frame of mind that one should be very, very careful in wanting more. Something bad may happen as a result.
lemming
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lemming.html
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello

Post by lemming »

I saw the simpsons parody this in their second Halloween special before I knew what it was parodying. Homer says to a street vendor who sells him the paw but warns him of the its curse "I didn't ask for your life story. paw me." Then I read about the short story in the stephen king novel the dead zone where he summarizes the whole story and gives away the ending, but I'm glad I finally got to read the original, so thank you!

The careful what you wish for message is every wish granting story ever written - five children and it by e nesbit is probably my favorite although it's a kid's book rather than horror - but the point about letting go of a lost loved one is a little deeper. Sometimes the best way to respect the past is to let it go completely - although the father is the one displaying fear, he actually represents acceptance while the mother represents denial.
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello
KDI70
Favorite Author: Heather Graham
Favorite Book: The Night is Alive
Currently Reading: Crimson Twilight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdi70.html
fav_author_id: 6581

Post by KDI70 »

I remember reading this as a child and was absolutely sitting on pins and needles while the husband was looking for the paw to make the last wish. My imigination was definitely working overtime on that one.
hillaryjones92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hillaryjones92.html

Post by hillaryjones92 »

wow i haven't read that since high-school. It is phenomenal though. its very hard to forget.
cariannemp
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cariannemp.html

Post by cariannemp »

I found this story pretty interesting until the ending. I got a little cofused as there
were several unanswered questions. I read it a Second time to feel pretty much the same. ..
Lots of speculation, but nothing concrete, I would suggest it to the reader that likes a challenge.
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

I read this story to my nephew one night during a power outage. There was only one flickering candle in the room. I still remember him saucer-eyed and huddled up under the covers as he listened to the story.
Erik1485

Post by Erik1485 »

Charlotte Reese wrote:I read this story to my nephew one night during a power outage. There was only one flickering candle in the room. I still remember him saucer-eyed and huddled up under the covers as he listened to the story.
That sounds like the perfect way to share this story. I am sure your nephew will always remember it. :D

I just read this story for the first time and it was very enjoyable. I loved the intensity of the scenes, the dramatic dialogue, and the suspense kept my eyes glued to the page.

An instant favorite.
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading

Post by Alden Loveshade »

I remember years ago some friends and I had a challenge. It was to come up with a wish that, if granted, could not come out very different and much worse than the wisher wanted. The wish had to be granted exactly as asked for. We never came up with a wish that could not be corrupted.
"A book is man’s best friend outside of a dog, and inside of a dog it’s too dark to read."
Jim Brewer, Cleveland, O. (also attributed to Groucho Marx)
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I originally read the "Monkey's Paw" many years ago but for some reason I thought the author was Edgar Allen Poe. This rings in with his voice and I must have gotten mixed up since I think I read all of Poe's short stories at one time or another. This is truly the best story demonstrating "be careful what you wish for".
meghannnelson13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghannnelson13.html

Post by meghannnelson13 »

This is definitely one of my favorite short stories! I read it in middle school and it freaked me out so badly but it really turned me on to horror stories. Someone actually made a movie about this, but in my opinion, it was not very good nor did it do this story justice.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

I liked this a lot! Thanks! I was kinda freaked out and frustrated though ha! I had never heard that story before.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Many years ago, a show on Nickelodeon entitled "Are You Afraid of the Dark" put their own spin on this one--I think it was called "The Tale of the Twisted Claw." I remember telling my mom about it (I was about ten years old at the time), and she then told me about The Monkey's Paw. My mother's brief explanation of that story creeped me out way more than Nickelodeon's watered-down version, and I had trouble falling asleep for several nights after that.

-- 19 Nov 2014, 21:22 --

Many years ago, a show on Nickelodeon entitled "Are You Afraid of the Dark" put their own spin on this one--I think it was called "The Tale of the Twisted Claw." I remember telling my mom about it (I was about ten years old at the time), and she then told me about The Monkey's Paw. My mother's brief explanation of that story creeped me out way more than Nickelodeon's watered-down version, and I had trouble falling asleep for several nights after that.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

There was a very good adaptation of it on the old Alfred Hitchcock show back in the 60's. It was intense.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Nikki72

Post by Nikki72 »

I've been looking for this story for a while, but was unable to find it. Thank you for sharing this. I love the suspense as they hear the knocking on the door as well as the ending.
HMJones
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmjones.html

Post by HMJones »

The ending of this Short Story will always stick with me. The fact you never quite know what has happened; whether Herbert was knocking on the door, whether he was a mutilated as Mr White expected! Made my hair rise up the first time I read it

Return to “Classical Short Reads”