The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Read and discuss classic short stories.
BookaholicAuthor
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholicauthor.html

Re: The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Post by BookaholicAuthor »

I have to admit I read this back in High School and still haven't forgotten a single detail of it. I loved it back then and still love this story up til this day. I swear, it makes my heart skip a beat when I read it.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

it was a little freaky
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

This one was a required reading back in school... but I've since read it again, a few times. I find that as I get older, it effects me more.. after all, I've lost people now, which I hadn't when I was a teen. The idea of wishing a loved one back from death is something that I think occurs to everyone who is grieving, but only after you get a bit of distance, perspective, do you realize how selfish that wish is, especially if you believe that the dead move on to some sort of paradise. I don't hold that belief, of course, but I still understand that wishing a loved one back would likely mean extreme pain for that person, and I'd not wish that on anyone I claim to love. For me, this story was just as much about the selfishness of grief as it was a classic horror tale.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I first heard this story back in middle school. We read it and then went to see a short play of it. They did an amazing job playing exactly as the story portrayed. The mystery behind the foot, the solider, and the door was thrilling for me as a child and still doing that today shows the impact on this story.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

This is such a fascinating, memorable, and altogether sad short story that teaches the lesson "be careful what you wish for." This short story twists innocent wishes like small sums of money into nightmares. It is so depressing that the main characters lost their son to their wish and the mysterious ending leaves the reader in chills. My praise of the story does not give it enough credit, but the fact that movies like Wish Upon are still being made and are based on the general idea of "The Monkey's Paw" stands as a testament that this is still a relevant and intriguing premise.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Such a creepy and sinister tale! The atmosphere really builds and builds. I remember reading this in school and shuddering towards the end!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Serina Vitrino
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serina-vitrino.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by Serina Vitrino »

I love this story! I remember I wrote an essay on it in high school and I got twenty points off the otherwise fine essay since I confused the author's last name for the White family. To this day I still mix them up! I don't know why
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
leandrarose
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by leandrarose »

I read this for English class in middle school. Back then, I believe I was slightly disturbed by the story, but I enjoyed it much more this time around.
Maestro Victor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maestro Victor »

Really great story, it kinda got freaky at some point but it was totally okay
Klee942
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Klee942 »

Loved this short story and mystery that it brings throughout the story. I really wanted to know what or who was at the door. Reminds me of a horror movie with suspense.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Oh, wow! That was creepy. I remember having read this once before, but the creepiness factor still remains high. I've not watched this on TV, but as always, I believe that words hold a greater power than visuals on the telly. So, consider me spooked!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
RSchwartz
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by RSchwartz »

ahhhh I remember reading this for school and not long after there was a spin-off of the story on the Simpsons. Be careful what you wish for....you might just get it....
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I love reading this story to my middle school students! I usually make it dramatic with background music and have one student knock on the door. The kids love how creepy it is.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

I remember reading this in middle school and being quite shaken afterwards. Now, it still has the same effect on me! Thanks for sharing. What a magnificent piece of storytelling.
Jude Uwaje
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-uwaje.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jude Uwaje »

Nice story. I enjoyed it so much. Good job!

Return to “Classical Short Reads”