Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Read and discuss classic short stories.
dea0045
Favorite Author: Austen or Dickens
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dea0045.html

Re: Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write

Post by dea0045 »

That is a great list!!! A good man is hard to find and the lottery are two of my all time favorite short stories!!!
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Post by LunaRowan »

I prefer short fiction to both read and write, It's much easier to come up with a less involved, less complicated story line with short stories and they keep readers' attention better because the plot must move quickly, leaving no room for extraneous rambling and inconsequential nonsense.
feyindie60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feyindie60.html

Post by feyindie60 »

Who reads short fiction ?
I assume anyone who wants to read a story that is developed in a short time with less characters than are usually found in a novel.

Is it easier or harder to write?

It has less pages and the plot must be developed more quickly and resolved more quickly. One must use an economy of words to get the point across while maintaining the atmosphere of the story. In other words, the author has to have his/her act together to make it work. Character development is very important and making that character somehow make a connection with the reader.

-- 16 Oct 2013, 16:38 --

I loved your list. I have read so many of the stories. I really never noticed, I just read. No one really recommended books to me, not even in school. They just couldn't keep up, so as a kid with ADHD, I just kept reading. I believe it is harder to write a good short story than a novel.
Megha Nayar
Favorite Author: Rohinton Mistry
Currently Reading: Great speeches of our time - H. Williams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megha-nayar.html
fav_author_id: 10435

Post by Megha Nayar »

That's a great list - thanks! :)

I read as well as write short stories, and I find both much easier than full-length novels. Short stories give you the scope to be sharp, blunt and edgy, and make a greater impact in fewer words. They're also easier to accomplish.
afabiny22

Post by afabiny22 »

Personally, I do not enjoy reading short fiction. I like to be able to dive into a book and be able to be absorbed by it, whereas short fiction doesn't really give you enough time to get absorbed before it is over. I think it would be harder to write because you have to put so many ideas into such a short frame.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

When I read fiction at all, it will only be short stories or novellas.
Gogol, The Nose, is hilarious!
There are many classic works in this format.

-- 05 Nov 2013, 17:50 --

Conspicuous by its absence is
'How much land does a man need' by Leo Tolstoy

-- 05 Nov 2013, 17:53 --

And The Death of Ivan Ilych also by Tolstoy.
Also, The Overcoat by Gogol.
bartleby51
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bartleby51.html

Post by bartleby51 »

I've always found short fiction harder to write. I never seem to have enough time to fully explore what's going on in a character's head. I've found I have to confine myself to a very short, specific time frame within the life of a character in order to keep it short! This list will let me go back and revisit some of the masters for a refresher course. Ray Bradbury was my first inspiration and still all-time favorite, though I remember being less than impressed with "The Sound of Thunder." My personal choice would be "The Cold Wind, and the Warm" from "I Sing the Body Electric!"
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I prefer a long fiction over a short one. I only read short fiction of my favorite authors.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

I love this list, I look forward to reading as many of them as I can find :)
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I had to learn how to write anything short. Heck, I used to be one of those who would tell you the whole movie if you asked me what it was about... Now... Well... I'm a commenter... :D That's improvement, right??? It is VERY hard to write short fiction because you have to use exactly the right words and starting flipping images right away. In the least, it presents an amazing challenge, one that forces a writer to think outside the box and beyond the page. I learned in an introductory college writing class that the best thing to do when you want to start writing a short is to read some poetry. Poems are the ultimate examples of conservation and a sense of absolute necessity. Benjamin Franklin wrote, "Never say anything in two words that can be better stated in one." Great point that one. Yeah, I don't think it's easy to write anything, but a short story is probably harder for me than anything else... GET TO THE POINT... um... hold on... I'm thinking, I'm thinking! I'm sure everybody here knows how that feels... Short stories are some of my favorite reads, though. I think the form was an excellent invention, especially for those who obsess about finishing what they start reading but don't want to spend more than half an hour trying to get through five hundred pages. I don't know why the short story is put down so often... You?

-- 16 Dec 2013, 21:24 --

Oh, Gotham Writers Workshop has an anthology called the "Fiction Gallery." Try it out. It has some old greats and contemporary works that really get the juices flowing... Just a suggestion! Ciao!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Sherlock_1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-1.html
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Post by Sherlock_1 »

Thanks for the list! I've been looking for some good short stories.
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"I guess it is a lot harder to write." Tell you what - write 5,000 words on a subject, then write 50,000. Which was harder?
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

I particularly love 1408 by Stephen King. I can't normally read King because he's a bit intense and heavy in a long novel, but this was the perfect length to enjoy him at his best.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"Short Fiction would be harder to write as you need to include an unexpected twist at the end"

Sez who?
RachanaS1

Post by RachanaS1 »

I love short fiction but I agree with the others that I don't get enough of the really getting to know the characters or the whole plot line. Most times, I'm left thinking what happens next? I've never ever tried writing but I'm definitely now inspired by the other posts about how people write!

Return to “Classical Short Reads”