Thats good
Jackoliver
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jackoliver »

wow great story dear.
Zekes

Post by Zekes »

I find the story really interesting and Voltaire is truly a great author.
Whitemore55

Post by Whitemore55 »

Excellent work. Thank you for sharing. Wish you best of luck. :D
Eric Tolevsky

Post by Eric Tolevsky »

I need to add a little Voltaire to my literary knowledge.
Kindle Books

Post by Kindle Books »

I like the story and it has just reminded me of one the stories i like to read.
Rickig

Post by Rickig »

nice typical Indian family story,i loved to read this story
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

if we don’t like the interpretations which actually live we can habitually make new ones, but we will not understand the response in this life. To me this is the delight of being human, that we are shrewd sufficient to trial to explain life’s secrets while all the time understanding that they can not ever be solved.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The Story of a Good Brahman

One of my very favorite stories. I'm very surprised to find someone else who thinks so too. I think the thrust of the story centers in the balm to be found in believing that which makes our life easier, but a truly honest person will have no use for anesthetics to life's problems and mysteries but prefers the truth, despite the pain that may attend it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

This may or may not be a dumb question: Does this book relate to Hinduism? At the mention of Brahman, which is one of the many Hindu gods, I thought this.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
cmss710
Bookshelf Size: 1573
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmss710.html

Post by cmss710 »

I really enjoyed this excerpt! It has inspired me to read the book. Thanks!
Tricia23
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tricia23 »

Why it is not a contradiction at all. It is simply attachment to the world or worldly desires. Had the Brahman been genuine
he would have the knowledge instead of searching for it. He would have known that trying to read and understand 'those ancient books' on his own would be like trying to find his way through a jungle. Being of the Brahman Cast he would have known that true understanding, knowledge and wisdom of the divine scriptures can only be imparted by a God Realized soul, a divine personality, a Jagadtguru, the Jesus Christ of his time.

The old woman has no worldly attachment so therefore finds peace, comfort, happiness and contentment knowing she is ever in the presence of the divine, in this condition she experiences nothing but pure divine love which is the only reality.

The Brahman is a liar and a fraud. Brahman itself means the supreme existence or absolute reality (which the old lady experiences). Brahmans are not rich they are spiritual teachers. The Brahman's scheme is to trick people into believing that he was "this good man" "no one was either more reasonable or more honest than he". and most likely believes his own lies after all he's been telling them for so long. "I have told myself a hundred times that I would be happy if I was as stupid as my neighbors and yet I would want no part of such a happiness." he cannot see himself as poor, his mind is attached to the material world so naturally he believes that happiness lies therein obviously that's not true. the old woman is not imbecilic she has simply surrendered herself to the ever present divine and experiences true love.....true happiness.
impalaibex
Currently Reading: smile thief
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-impalaibex.html

Post by impalaibex »

Voltaire's "Candide" is witty, too. It makes fun of the army , in general. So, you seem to appreciate the age of reason, monsueir? Try Balsac's "A Passion in The Desert"; it is the love story of a soldier and a leopard...
...the movie resembles classical mythos paintings.
josieyoung333

Post by josieyoung333 »

This is a very common reflection of my own life. I am both the happy non-assuming woman and the depressed, learned Brahman at the same time.
It is easy to get carried away with the "whys and the why nots" of life...
The hardest thing about being human is finding contentment and happiness in the smallest things. When we do.. Life become a So Much Fuller! 😁
missbamdy
Currently Reading: A Bloody Book
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missbamdy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by missbamdy »

The more we have, the more knowledge we acquire, the lesser our contentment. The pursuit of happiness is part of being human, yet, it is elusive. The brahman represents us on our best days, always wanting more.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”