Re: The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde

Post by moi_papillon »

I prefer Dorian Grey by this author
katesolomon
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by katesolomon »

Hey Thanks for posting this. As a child I loved Oscar Wilde Stories. Long back I had read one of his stories named "The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde" , lovely story I must say.
villagesquare

Post by villagesquare »

Am not too sure I have read the The Happy Prince By Ocar wilde. Give me a summary of the book.
I have seen some short classic narrative but let have more intro here
katesolomon
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by katesolomon »

Hi,

Well it was long time back when I was a kid that I read this story, it was about a selfish giant who had no friends. He had a fruit garden where he did not allow anybody to enter and pluck fruits. There was a board outside his house saying" Trespassers will be Prosecuted". Nice story
chikankari

Post by chikankari »

nice story so thanks for share & keep it on.
adityamadan

Post by adityamadan »

A well written book by an amazing author.
reluctantreader

Post by reluctantreader »

This always makes me cry! I think it's such a lovely story.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

In a town where a lot of poor people suffer, a swallow who was left behind after his flock flew off to Egypt for the winter meets the statue of the late "Happy Prince", who in reality has never experienced true happiness. Viewing various scenes of people suffering in poverty from his tall monument, the Happy Prince asks the swallow to take the ruby from his hilt, the sapphires from his eyes, and the golden leaf covering his body to give to the poor. As the winter comes and the Happy Prince is stripped of all of his beauty, his lead heart breaks when the swallow dies as a result of his selfless deeds. The statue is then torn down and melted leaving behind the broken heart and the dead swallow which are taken up to heaven by an angel that has deemed them the two most precious things in the city by God, so they may live forever in his city of gold and garden of paradise.
connorjaycolebrook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connorjaycolebrook.html

Post by connorjaycolebrook »

Daaang. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!
gtcongo123

Post by gtcongo123 »

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the story. I had not read it previously. It is amazing how much description is included in so few lines. I felt like I was right there!
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I think Oscar Wilde is great, even if it's often claimed that one HAS to be homosexual to enjoy him. I really don't think that one's sexual orientation influences their emotional balance... There are many insensitive homosexuals the same as insensitive heterosexuals... Some are downright mean just like lots of others of the opposite orientation... What does it have to do with anything???
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
SheldrakeWriter
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheldrakewriter.html
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar

Post by SheldrakeWriter »

A gemstone of Wildean story-telling. The Happy Prince is devastating on every re-reading and I totally adore it. It has obviously inflamed a few tempers for not being like The Importance of Being Earnest, but I think Wilde was in some ways at his best in the short story form.
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

Nathrad Sheare,

"I think Oscar Wilde is great, even if it's often claimed that one HAS to be homosexual to enjoy him"

Often claimed?

Could you cite to several sources which make this claim? I've never heard it, not even once, so understandably I am surprised to read it is an assertion that has been often claimed.

"sexual orientation ... What does it have to do with anything???" Well, it was you who brought it up, why did you do so? Simply to illustrate that it is not germane to the discussion?
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

This story moves me every time. It was worth reading it again. Thanks tons!
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

SheldrakeWriter wrote:A gemstone of Wildean story-telling. The Happy Prince is devastating on every re-reading and I totally adore it. It has obviously inflamed a few tempers for not being like The Importance of Being Earnest, but I think Wilde was in some ways at his best in the short story form.
I honestly think his fairy stories are the best fiction he wrote. Incredibly moving and with less crowbarring in of aphorisms than in Dorian Grey and his plays. Although, to be fair to Wilde, it may be people quoting him a lot have made it seem as though that was how he wrote.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Return to “Classical Short Reads”