The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Muhammad Anwer
Favorite Book: Hamlet
Currently Reading: Moth Smoke
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde

Post by Muhammad Anwer »

The Happy Prince presents a fairy tale atmosphere to teach a moral lesson in the traditional manners of a fable.
Under the garb of a fairy tale, the story is a sharp criticism on the shallow ethical values of Victorian society. It is condemnation of the Snobbish attitude of the elite class and blindness of the rulers who have no idea of the misery of the poor. They never come out of their palaces to take a look at the misery of the downtrodden people though there is no mystery as great as misery.
Under the garb of a fairy tale, the writer tries to impress upon us that God loves only those who love and serve their fellow human beings.
Sweta Sinha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Sweta Sinha »

I've read this story multiple times and I don't remember ever finishing it without tears in my eyes. Even the thought of it is capable of giving an ache to my chest. The Happy Prince for me is the even more special as it is the very first book that made me shed tears all those years ago when I was still a little girl.
But that's the irony, broken people are not fragile.
EnclosedReviewer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enclosedreviewer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by EnclosedReviewer »

I'm really looking forward to reading this book; the narrative's development has piqued my interest.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”