Read and discuss classic short stories.
parul1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by parul1234 »

thanks my friend
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

knightss wrote:'But I loved Narcissus because, as he lay on my banks and looked down at me, in the mirror of his eyes I saw ever my own beauty mirrored.'
It was only afterwards that I realised the illogic of this. Why love Narcissus, when anybody else would so as well?
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Esperanza1988

Post by Esperanza1988 »

That is wonderful, I read it over and over!
Seraphy

Post by Seraphy »

Very good story! Thanks for sharing~
Nirma1230

Post by Nirma1230 »

great sharing, its very use full and nice, appreciated for this,

thanks
jobz.pk
paketwisatajogja75

Post by paketwisatajogja75 »

I love Oscar wilde
nadiamoqaddas

Post by nadiamoqaddas »

Oscar Wilde is a classic novelist. I enjoy his writing style
twilightchick792

Post by twilightchick792 »

Such a amazing story
cahillcahill

Post by cahillcahill »

When Narcissus died the pool of his pleasure changed from a cup of sweet waters into a cup of salt tears, and the Oreads came weeping through the woodland that they might sing to the pool and give it comfort.

And when they saw that the pool had changed from a cup of sweet waters into a cup of salt tears, they loosened the green tresses of their hair and cried to the pool and said, 'We do not wonder that you should mourn in this manner for Narcissus, so beautiful was he.'

'But was Narcissus beautiful?' said the pool.

'Who should know that better than you?' answered the Oreads. 'Us did he ever pass by, but you he sought for, and would lie on your banks and look down at you, and in the mirror of your waters he would mirror his own beauty.'

And the pool answered, 'But I loved Narcissus because, as he lay on my banks and looked down at me, in the mirror of his eyes I saw ever my own beauty mirrored.' My all time favourite by Oscar Wild
Andlawruble

Post by Andlawruble »

Scott wrote:If a man poetically told his girlfriend that she makes him see the best in himself, I am sure the girlfriend would feel very complimented. And I am sure it would be the same if it had been the girlfriend who had said that to the man. But it is funny to think of that considering how superficial and silly the above story makes that type of relationship seem.
That is exactly what I was thinking!
This case is a strange one. A narcissus creating a narcissus by... being Narcissus?
Does the pool love himself, and does Narcissus love himself? - or - Does the pool love Narcissus and Narcissus the pool?
Jkrasy
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkrasy.html
Latest Review: "Killing Nazis" by Nikos Kalpakis

Post by Jkrasy »

Brilliant
Latest Review: "Killing Nazis" by Nikos Kalpakis
abk4lizife

Post by abk4lizife »

I've always thought about getting into Oscar Wilde's work. Just from the poetry alone I'm thinking I have to make some room on my bookshelf for his books :)
mae

Post by mae »

abk4lizife wrote:I've always thought about getting into Oscar Wilde's work. Just from the poetry alone I'm thinking I have to make some room on my bookshelf for his books :)
"The Picture of Dorian Gray" is one of my favorite books. I always have at least two copies of it at all times. There are just so many layers to Oscar Wilde's work that it's enjoyable to read more than once.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

Poems in Prose is the collective title of six prose poems published by Oscar Wilde in The Fortnightly Review (July 1894).[1] Derived from Wilde's many oral tales, these prose poems are the only six that were published by Wilde in his lifetime, and they include (in order of appearance): "The Artist," "The Doer of Good", "The Disciple," "The Master," "The House of Judgment," and "The Teacher of Wisdom." Two of these prose poems, "The House of Judgment" and "The Disciple," appeared earlier in The Spirit Lamp, an Oxford undergraduate magazine, on February 17 and June 6, 1893 (respectively). A set of illustrations for the prose poems was completed by Wilde's friend and frequent illustrator, Charles Ricketts, who never published the pen-and-ink drawings in his lifetime.

-- 25 Oct 2013, 03:39 --

Poems in Prose is the collective title of six prose poems published by Oscar Wilde in The Fortnightly Review (July 1894).[1] Derived from Wilde's many oral tales, these prose poems are the only six that were published by Wilde in his lifetime, and they include (in order of appearance): "The Artist," "The Doer of Good", "The Disciple," "The Master," "The House of Judgment," and "The Teacher of Wisdom." Two of these prose poems, "The House of Judgment" and "The Disciple," appeared earlier in The Spirit Lamp, an Oxford undergraduate magazine, on February 17 and June 6, 1893 (respectively). A set of illustrations for the prose poems was completed by Wilde's friend and frequent illustrator, Charles Ricketts, who never published the pen-and-ink drawings in his lifetime.

-- 29 Oct 2013, 05:07 --

-- 30 Oct 2013, 03:36 --

Hannah2792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah2792.html

Post by Hannah2792 »

Oscar Wilde is one of my all-time favourite classic authors. Such talent and he saw the world in such profound ways.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”