The Disciple by Oscar Wilde

Read and discuss classic short stories.
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Disciple by Oscar Wilde

Post by knightss »

When Narcissus died the pool of his pleasure changed from a cup of sweet waters into a cup of salt tears, and the Oreads came weeping through the woodland that they might sing to the pool and give it comfort.

And when they saw that the pool had changed from a cup of sweet waters into a cup of salt tears, they loosened the green tresses of their hair and cried to the pool and said, 'We do not wonder that you should mourn in this manner for Narcissus, so beautiful was he.'

'But was Narcissus beautiful?' said the pool.

'Who should know that better than you?' answered the Oreads. 'Us did he ever pass by, but you he sought for, and would lie on your banks and look down at you, and in the mirror of your waters he would mirror his own beauty.'

And the pool answered, 'But I loved Narcissus because, as he lay on my banks and looked down at me, in the mirror of his eyes I saw ever my own beauty mirrored.'
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Excellent story! It reminds me a little bit of The Giving Tree in that it points to the selfishness in relationships.

If a man poetically told his girlfriend that she makes him see the best in himself, I am sure the girlfriend would feel very complimented. And I am sure it would be the same if it had been the girlfriend who had said that to the man. But it is funny to think of that considering how superficial and silly the above story makes that type of relationship seem.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

And the pool answered, 'But I loved Narcissus because, as he lay on my banks and looked down at me, in the mirror of his eyes I saw ever my own beauty mirrored.'- I like that :D
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

That's interesting. I like it.
TrinityJ

Post by TrinityJ »

This story is oh, so fine. Interesting understanding indeed.
thisislissa

Post by thisislissa »

Mind blowing, I love mythical retellings.

That was an interesting point Scott about the lovers who help each other to see the best in themselves. Is it really silly and superficial though? Seeing oneself as beautiful through one’s lovers eyes is one of the best parts of being in love I think.
The victor belongs to the spoils.
jenniferjill29

Post by jenniferjill29 »

Superficial may not be the best word to describe their relationship. Selfish or self-absorbed are better describers. I understand the concept of being/feeling beautiful in someone else's eyes, but we need not forget the consequence of the story. Both the pool and Narcissus, due to their codependent relationship, fell to their demise. Had either spent more time appreciating the other's beauty, maybe they would have been more in love with each other, and not so much in love with themselves.
TheoGio

Post by TheoGio »

YES!! Excellent point Jennifer!!

But is it not true that the jusxtaposition of his words is truly brilliant??
ethanlevin123

Post by ethanlevin123 »

Wow its so touching. Yes i agree with Jennifer on this. Instead of being self centered they should have spent more time knowing each other.

Well, the beautiful moral in this is to be more loving instead of being selfish which we all are these days!! I think its time for a change!!
alimena

Post by alimena »

Las line by the pool was awesome :)
Selfishness in all it's expression.

Thanks for sharing ~
soniakhan33

Post by soniakhan33 »

very good linese by pool........
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

Very nice one.. I like this, its one of the best.!
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

I had never read that one before. It was sharp and witty, and a joy to read.
adriangana

Post by adriangana »

Comics I think
likemangos

Post by likemangos »

Thats good

Return to “Classical Short Reads”