Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Lil Reads
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Post by Lil Reads » 26 Jun 2018, 18:03

I read some short stories in high school, although our textbooks seemed to feature excerpts from classics more.

I remember reading a work by Annie Proulx, the same woman who pinned the short story that became Brokeback Mountain. The short story we read became the inspiration for the Alfred Hitchcock film The Birds.

We also read "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant. That one stuck out so much to me because we have all had that "Ah! I ruin this and I borrowed it!" moment. Thankfully, most people are not like the side characters in this story.

It is probably harder to write a short story compared to a novel since there are word counts you have to stay below while including world building, narrative, characterization, and themes!
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:

Marlice Camacho
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marlice Camacho » 30 Jun 2018, 15:14

Short fiction are enjoyable but you can't help but to feel the "want more" feeling. But all in all, it is quite amazing.

bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 » 01 Jul 2018, 18:45

I like reading short fiction occasionally, it doesn't take much time and the stories are often just as good as a regular length novel.
I personally think it would be harder, you have to cram the whole story structure into a shorter format, while still setting the scene and fleshing out characters. Then again, I haven't really written any but that's my assumption.

EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 » 20 Jul 2018, 06:52

Thank you for the recommendations list! The only short stories I recall reading are those written by Oscar Wilde and the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I do enjoy them, the brevity and the description has to be on point for the story to be delivered, so I will definitely be reading more. :)

jdy
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: Love Finds You:The Helen's Grove Series
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by jdy » 09 Aug 2018, 08:11

I have read some short fiction and have found at some times that it leaves me wanting more. I also feel with some that authors find it hard to end and it tends to end abruptly.

Harley-Panda
2018 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Harley-Panda » 13 Aug 2018, 04:34

This is a great list to look through! I have read some of them, but not as many as I would like.

Short stories are definitely a great writing form. They are quick and easy to read, so you can fit them in even if you are reading other novels.
As for writing them - I find that there are pros and cons to short stories. They allow for less planning (as you don't have to leave hints or work out how you'll lead the characters to the main plotline) because you generally only have one main plotline to write. However, they don't allow for as much explanation of characters/character progression.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

jdy
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: Love Finds You:The Helen's Grove Series
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by jdy » 17 Aug 2018, 07:35

I agree with the observation about the characters. It is exactly why I like to read the longer works, I tend to get invested in the characters and like to follow the characters through.

cj222
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cj222 » 30 Aug 2018, 21:46

I love short stories can't wait to read them.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”