Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Classical Short Reads

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Read and discuss classic short stories.

Re: The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs

Post Number:#76 by BookaholicAuthor
» 18 Aug 2016, 13:36

I have to admit I read this back in High School and still haven't forgotten a single detail of it. I loved it back then and still love this story up til this day. I swear, it makes my heart skip a beat when I read it.
BookaholicAuthor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#77 by Jjnessie 33
» 16 Oct 2016, 00:01

it was a little freaky
Jjnessie 33

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#78 by Erik
» 04 Jan 2017, 23:08

This one was a required reading back in school... but I've since read it again, a few times. I find that as I get older, it effects me more.. after all, I've lost people now, which I hadn't when I was a teen. The idea of wishing a loved one back from death is something that I think occurs to everyone who is grieving, but only after you get a bit of distance, perspective, do you realize how selfish that wish is, especially if you believe that the dead move on to some sort of paradise. I don't hold that belief, of course, but I still understand that wishing a loved one back would likely mean extreme pain for that person, and I'd not wish that on anyone I claim to love. For me, this story was just as much about the selfishness of grief as it was a classic horror tale.
Erik

Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

Post Number:#79 by AlwaysWorthIt
» 11 Apr 2017, 11:56

I first heard this story back in middle school. We read it and then went to see a short play of it. They did an amazing job playing exactly as the story portrayed. The mystery behind the foot, the solider, and the door was thrilling for me as a child and still doing that today shows the impact on this story.
It's Always Worth the Read.
AlwaysWorthIt's Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
AlwaysWorthIt

Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 66%

Post Number:#80 by hlc85
» 07 Aug 2017, 00:01

This is such a fascinating, memorable, and altogether sad short story that teaches the lesson "be careful what you wish for." This short story twists innocent wishes like small sums of money into nightmares. It is so depressing that the main characters lost their son to their wish and the mysterious ending leaves the reader in chills. My praise of the story does not give it enough credit, but the fact that movies like Wish Upon are still being made and are based on the general idea of "The Monkey's Paw" stands as a testament that this is still a relevant and intriguing premise.
hlc85

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2 books

View Reviewer Page

Previous