How would a super-ability change your life?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
L_Therese
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1969
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: It Is About You by Deborah Cupples

How would a super-ability change your life?

Post by L_Therese » 17 Jun 2017, 12:12

A superpower could bring wealth, opportunity, and maybe attract friends, but it could also attract enemies, people who want to take advantage, and other negative things. If you had a superpower - digital travel or otherwise - would the summation of the changes to your life be good or bad? What would be different? Would you keep your job? your home? your circle of friends? Do you think you would become lonely because no one else shares your experience?

Kelebogile Mbangi
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: The Journey to Becoming a Great Student by Awosanya Yusuff Adewale

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi » 17 Jun 2017, 12:52

I don't think I'd want a super ability. Limitations push a person to be more disciplined, to grow and develop themselves. To me a super ability seems like a short cut. For example, people who are overly talented often have a bohemian attitude, which is good in many ways, but at times it also leads them to becoming failures because they rely solely on their talent and don't put in the hard work or hours to turn their talent into a success.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 601
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Food Sanity by Dr David Friedman.

Post by katiesquilts » 18 Jun 2017, 21:17

I recently watched Dr. Strange for the second time, and I am obsessed with their mental powers. Before I would have just been satisfied with an eidetic memory or the ability to decipher any foreign language just by listening to it, but now I want to be able to warp the reality around me and enter the mirror dimension. :drool:

I love the idea that everyone has superpowers inside of them, and we just have to focus and work hard on bringing them out! If that were truly the case, I'm not sure if I would encourage my friends and family to try and drag theirs out too, or if I would keep it my little secret...

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 44
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Blackfish City
Bookshelf Size: 881

Post by Gravy » 19 Jun 2017, 06:06

I doubt it would change much, just because I would keep it to myself. It would probably be beneficial, but I would also be careful about the ways I used it.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.

:reading-4:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 19 Jun 2017, 09:33

I would not want a super power. I think there would be too much responsibility as well as too much loneliness. It would be nice for a while, but I'm sure I would tire of it quickly.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Ren Alex
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ren Alex » 19 Jun 2017, 14:52

If I possessed extraordinary powers, I would change the social, political, and environmental climates throughout the world. As a result, I would alter not only my life, but also all life on earth.

Donnavila Marie01
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 » 20 Jun 2017, 07:23

I do not like the idea that all people have super abilities because this can become the cause of more chaos but I like the idea that some individuals will have super ability. If I have one, it will change everything about me. My lifestyle, my relationsips with other people, and the way I will look at things.

WestIndie001
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass

Post by WestIndie001 » 20 Jun 2017, 14:00

I don't think I'd want superhuman abilities. More power equals more responsibility, which is mentioned in Spider-Man. I'm sure having powers does come with extra responsibilities and a ton of stress. That's what I've learned from all the superhero films in the last decade. I'd rather just be normal, I think.

katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts » 20 Jun 2017, 17:14

WestIndie001 wrote:I don't think I'd want superhuman abilities. More power equals more responsibility, which is mentioned in Spider-Man. I'm sure having powers does come with extra responsibilities and a ton of stress. That's what I've learned from all the superhero films in the last decade. I'd rather just be normal, I think.
This is true, but a lot of superhero movies also have protagonists that wake up with the superpowers one day, having no idea how to use them. Then, because they don't know the first thing about them, they use them irresponsibly or use them in front of other people, which makes them a target.
If you were to have your superpowers from birth or had to study extensively to receive them, I don't think you would use them irresponsibly. And, if you had magic, for example, you could clean your house without lifting a finger, every day of the week, and no one would ever have to know!

Cjgarland89
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: 4 Counties
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 » 21 Jun 2017, 13:50

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:I don't think I'd want a super ability. Limitations push a person to be more disciplined, to grow and develop themselves. To me a super ability seems like a short cut. For example, people who are overly talented often have a bohemian attitude, which is good in many ways, but at times it also leads them to becoming failures because they rely solely on their talent and don't put in the hard work or hours to turn their talent into a success.

I love this response. It's raw, and I completely agree. Many times those who are gifted something feel that they don't need to work for anything in their lives. I think if an individual works hard to achieve something they can appreciate and utilize it more.

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 39
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 404
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 21 Jun 2017, 15:45

If I had a super-ability, like Gravy said, I would try to keep everything the same as much as I can. I would share it with my husband since I trust him 100%, but other than him, I wouldn't share this with anyone.

Now, if I was given a choice if I wanted a super-ability or not, I would probably choose not to have one since I think the pressure of having it might be a bit much.

Interesting question!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Darakhshan Nazir
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir » 25 Jun 2017, 02:47

um...... I am thinking of super-ability to fly ... heehaw I would provide services like TCS ... It's so funny
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!

Amagine
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine » 26 Jun 2017, 11:55

If I had the ability to teleport, it would change my life for the better. I would be able to sleep in longer because I don't have to commute to work any more. I would be able to visit friends more easily because I don't really have to travel. I wouldn't tell anyone of my ability though because I wouldn't want all the attention.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: Ocean Echoes by Sheila Hurst

Post by Lest92 » 27 Jun 2017, 05:31

If it's an ability like teleportation or instant learning, I'd be waxed. Nobody shares my experiences anyway, so I won't care whether I'm being extra lonely or whatever. Just as long as I can take a camera and see the world's most beautiful places free of charge, I'll be quite happy.

katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts » 27 Jun 2017, 17:39

Amagine wrote:If I had the ability to teleport, it would change my life for the better. I would be able to sleep in longer because I don't have to commute to work any more. I would be able to visit friends more easily because I don't really have to travel. I wouldn't tell anyone of my ability though because I wouldn't want all the attention.
Yes, this is a great idea! I love the idea of cutting down 12 or 14 hour flights to mere seconds!
If I never had to ride in an airline again I'd be so happy... Although I feel like people would question how you got to places so quickly, or if you visited a foreign country without a boarding stamp on your visa you could get in major trouble. :|

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”