What's in a title, and what is your favorite book title?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Re: What's in a title, and what is your favorite book title?

Post by ifeoma obike »

I'm always triggered by titles and reviews. If the title is eye-catching, I then check up reviews before I proceed to read. I remember what a book I've read in the past is all about by the titles, I forget all about a book cover shortly after reading it. My favourite genre is crime, mystery, thriller, and horror and what arouses my interest first are the titles. My favourite title(s) are: You find him, I'll fix him, Figure it out for yourself, There's always a price tag, Well Now- My Pretty, and Knock, Knock! Who's There?. These book titles all from James Hardley Chase are my favourite and unforgettable.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

My favorite title is "Smelled like alcohol and bad decisions". Like a complete jerk, I dont remember the author's name. It was a free book on google play books and it was incredibly funny. I wish I still had it actually.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

One of my favorite book titles is Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. The title is an allusion to a striking metaphor in the book and it is remarkably poetic. This book is movingly sad as a testament to Plath's grapple with depression. Plath is a master of poesy and this semi-autobiographical work of fiction is named accordingly.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

A good title does a lot to influence my choice of books!! The one title I absolutely loved was "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"! It immediately attracted attention and what a beautiful book that was!!
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

A title is very important for a book. An ideal book is that in which the titem of the book is justified by the story.
My favourite book is The Secret and it's title is well justified.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Things fall apart by Chinua Achebe
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

I believe that titles can do many different things. Some titles give away the setting of the book, like Raven's Peak for example. The book focuses on a situation that revolves around a town called Raven's Peak. Others, could reveal the main subject of the story or even give away a huge plot point, like My Brother Sam is Dead. Others can not make any sense at all up until the end of the book when the reader gets that "ahh ha" moment. Those are my favorite. I even enjoy the titles with double meanings. I have just written a short story entitled Holana Creek. The reader does not understand the title until the end when the creek is finally mentioned. Also it has a double meaning with a bit of irony to it. Holana means "one of happy fortune" and let's just say what happens at Holana Creek isn't so happy. It is titles like that, ones that make you think, that I enjoy the most.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I tend to love a more poetic title, like my favourite is 'Written in my own heart's blood' by Diana Gabaldon. The book is the 8th instalment in her outlander series and the story is amazing. She writes her books like that and they are a good read.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

A title is a creative short description of what the readers or consumers should expect . Yes titles speak volumes but sometimes they might be underestimated by the potential consumers or readers or over hyped by the producers .
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

When I first saw the title, I didn't understand it and the book cover didn't do much to draw me in. It was later on after I read a review of this book that I got some if not little understanding. Now I'm reading it and boy its good. To think that I almost missed out...
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I like titles that catch your attention and make you want to pick it up and see what the book is about. One of my favorite books is The Outsiders. I always felt like an outsider so of course I was drawn to the title of it. Sometimes I like short titles too. That are left to be interpreted by the one looking at it. Like it doesn't give anything away so you have to read it to find out what's going on in the book.
Mac :techie-reference:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I don't know about current title, but I've saved a quote by U2's Bono that I want to use for a title: "We need new dreams tonight."
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

A title can portray a lot about a book, and it can also catch your eye or attention. My latest favorite title is Undead Readhead which strikes me as funny for some reason, and apparently gives a summarized description of what the book is about from the review I read.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

The title is the game-setter. We're either really caught by a title or we merely skim over it when finding a new, exciting read. I like titles that fit whatever content it's introducing but not so much that I'll already know everything about the story before I even start the first sentence.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think a title that doesn't deviate from the main storyline but doesn't reveal too much at the same time is best. When they just barely hint at the topic, I like that too. When I was younger, the title that stuck with me the most was "The Time Traveller's Wife."

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”