What defines a (super)hero?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Re: What defines a (super)hero?

Post by srm628 »

A hero who does things for the sake of good, such as a policeman or firefighter. A superhero is a person who has super abilities and still works for the sake of good.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

A superhero to me is someone ordinary that chooses to rise up against some personal or an out-there status quo for a selfless reason or someone that chooses to be better against all odds for the just that
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I think a superhero is someone who goes above and beyond over and over again. They know the dangers because they have already been through them but they continue to do the work. A hero is someone who does the work a couple times but eventually says enough is enough.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

A super hero s defined by their unique ability to overcome self over the entire good for humanity and mother nature. A super hero is humble and never calls himself one, his/her actions speak.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

A hero can be you or me. A hero is someone who lends out a helping hand even in the smallest way possible.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Someone who provides free service to his community and doing this makes him completely happy without expecting something in return.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I think that a superhero is someone who risks his own life or quality of life for the benefit of others. However, I do think that superheroes can have flaws, because who doesn't? Being a superhero isn't about being perfect.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Yeah, I don't think that Alex is a superhero. He does help people, but he hurts people as well. Also, when I think of superheroes I think of fighting and Alex doesn't really have any fighting skills. I think Alex would have superpowers, but that does not mean that he is a hero.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I don't consider Alex a superhero, or even a hero, really. For me, he makes too many poor choices to be a classic "hero." I'm sure Superman and Batman aren't golden boys all the time, but they seem to be in an entirely different category than Alex. In terms of what makes one a hero, I'm not suggesting wearing one's underwear over the pants or putting on a mask does it. Heroes are the people who do little things to help another person. Superheroes, then, could be heroes on a larger scale, whether or not they have superpowers. A hero could be a parent, or a significant other, or even some random person on the street who keeps your kid from running out into traffic. You don't have to save the world, just a little part of it.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

We like to paint our heroes lily white and render them incapable of doing any wrongs. Alex does reason his stealing by taking money (in some cases) from those who acquired it illegally in the first place and giving it to the people he deems deserving of it. I don't expect him to be selfless, especially as we've seen where he doesn't really put up much of a fight when it comes on to his own desires. He's more of a vigilante, kind but not selfless.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think we've become so used to the comic script of the superhero that imagining them in realistic situations gives us pause. Yes, Alex is not really a likeable character because of a host of different reasons, but I think under the circumstances, he's not the worst. HIs good deeds and the fact that he has superpowers don't necessarily mean he's automatically a superhero, but it does give him points.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I really don't know but, I think Alex was not a super hero.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I think that a hero is a person who is physiologically or psychologically extraordinary, and uses that advantageous.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”