What if?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

What if?

Post by Zero » 05 Jun 2017, 13:22

After discovering his powers Alex decided to become a digital Robin Hood. But what if he didn't decide to be a one? What if he decided to become digital Joker? (the greatest villain ever) How would have the story unfolded? What turns and twists would have the story taken?
Please provide your insights.
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein

Donnavila Marie01
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 » 06 Jun 2017, 00:56

If Alex Fine in the Story was a villain and a digital joker, then there would be a protagonist.The protagonist must be someone who has the gift of deciphering the brain of Alex Fine.

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: Lair of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Secret Key of Pythagorum by Michele Angello
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 06 Jun 2017, 06:50

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:If Alex Fine in the Story was a villain and a digital joker, then there would be a protagonist.The protagonist must be someone who has the gift of deciphering the brain of Alex Fine.
I don't think I understand your answer...?
Zero wrote:After discovering his powers Alex decided to become a digital Robin Hood. But what if he didn't decide to be a one? What if he decided to become digital Joker? (the greatest villain ever) How would have the story unfolded? What turns and twists would have the story taken?
Please provide your insights.
Interesting...hm...I would definitely like him less (though I'm not a big fan of his right now). This is tough because I would say that he would use the ability for his own purposes, but he already does that. Not a big difference there.

Maybe if he had a poor experience with a store/company, he could make them go bankrupt. Or, if he didn't like someone in a political position, Alex could probably easily find some discriminating information, leak it, and get that person out of the position he/she holds.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jun 2017, 07:11

As hsimone stated, I'm not a huge fan of Alex's either. I'm not sure it's too much different from what he's already doing. However, in this age where everything is digital, Alex could easily manipulate someone's data so much so as to kill them. Anyone ever seen the movie "The Net"? All you would have to do is take off someone's medical record that they are allergic to pencillin (for example). They go into the hospital. The doctors give them penicillin. Bam. They die.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: Lair of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Secret Key of Pythagorum by Michele Angello
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 06 Jun 2017, 09:42

kandscreeley wrote:As hsimone stated, I'm not a huge fan of Alex's either. I'm not sure it's too much different from what he's already doing. However, in this age where everything is digital, Alex could easily manipulate someone's data so much so as to kill them. Anyone ever seen the movie "The Net"? All you would have to do is take off someone's medical record that they are allergic to pencillin (for example). They go into the hospital. The doctors give them penicillin. Bam. They die.
Glad I have someone on the same boat as me. :)

I have not seen "The Net", but that sounds like such a scary situation. You're right, though, Alex could essentially end someone's life by figuring out their allergies and taking it off the person's medical records. Gosh, that would terrible...
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Jaime Lync
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 105
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: Boy by Anna Hamilton

Post by Jaime Lync » 06 Jun 2017, 18:02

If Alex was a villain I think he would have more likable because villains are usually cunning. He might have tried to go into political office as well and aim towards the cliche one world government or as Pinky and Brain say - World domination. Villains also seem to invite partners only to experience betrayal before a fork in the story.
Latest Review: Boy by Anna Hamilton

Donnavila Marie01
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 » 07 Jun 2017, 17:38

hsimone wrote:
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:If Alex Fine in the Story was a villain and a digital joker, then there would be a protagonist.The protagonist must be someone who has the gift of deciphering the brain of Alex Fine.
I don't think I understand your answer...?

I picked the line, "the greatest villain ever". When I posted my thoughts, I was thinking, if Alex Fine was a villain, the story would not be complete if it has no protagonist, and I said, this protagonist must be someone who has the power to navigate the brain of Alex Fine because in Superhighway 2, as narrated by Alex Fine, there were hundreds of scientists navigating his brain. Sorry for the confusion. The question was, "what if", I addressed that "what if" according to what I thought.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 11 Jun 2017, 08:25

Jaime Lync wrote:If Alex was a villain I think he would have more likable because villains are usually cunning. He might have tried to go into political office as well and aim towards the cliche one world government or as Pinky and Brain say - World domination. Villains also seem to invite partners only to experience betrayal before a fork in the story.
I can see a villainous Alex going for world domination as well. I don't think he'd succeed as he isn't great at thinking before acting but that could come over time. And now I have the Pinky and the Brain song running through my mind (thanks :lol2: ).
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Post by teacherjh » 06 Jun 2018, 22:18

If Alex was a villain, it might have been a more enjoyable book. I would have expected him to do evil. As it was Alex just kept hurting innocent people without meaning to. It was tragic.
Latest Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Breaking Apart by Micheli Zappala

Post by Jgideon » 07 Jun 2018, 23:42

If Alex Fine in the Story was a villain and a digital joker, the book would not have been as intersting for me. However, I imagine he would trigger the agencies that he was spying such as CIA and FBI to start hunting him down and finally capture him.

dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley » 03 Aug 2018, 21:34

A digital Robin Hood would’ve been good, would’ve made him more likable. A villain may be hard to pull off, but a possibility for a spin off novel!
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by mac83 » 18 Sep 2018, 08:46

He would have become just like the bad guys in the story. Using others for his own personal gain. I'm glad the author had him become more like Robin Hood. It makes for a better story. In a world with so much bad, I enjoy reading where there is good.
Mac :techie-reference:

jjmainor
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by jjmainor » 03 Oct 2018, 23:46

kandscreeley wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 07:11
As hsimone stated, I'm not a huge fan of Alex's either. I'm not sure it's too much different from what he's already doing. However, in this age where everything is digital, Alex could easily manipulate someone's data so much so as to kill them. Anyone ever seen the movie "The Net"? All you would have to do is take off someone's medical record that they are allergic to pencillin (for example). They go into the hospital. The doctors give them penicillin. Bam. They die.
I suppose that might work if the patient was unconscious with no family nearby. But, coincidentally, I'm allergic to penicillin, and I've always been asked about allergies pretty much at the start of the visit.

Along those lines, though, you could manipulate the organ donor list so that someone slated for a transplant loses their place in line.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”