Do you believe in destiny?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Do you believe in destiny?

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Alex Fine discovered his gift of traveling through computers which made him an instant financially wealthy person. It seems that in the story, Alex considers helping people as his destiny. In your case, what do you think is your destiny? Do you believe in destiny?
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I believe we can make our own destiny. I think we all have gifts that could be a benefit to the world. However, it is up to us if we choose to act on it or not.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I believe that not everything in stone but there are some things that are bound to happen one way or the other. There is freedom to choose but the paths are not limitless.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

If you define destiny as fate, then I do. However, I also believe in free will. I think both exist, in the context of reincarnation. Between lives, I believe we choose our path (fate) in order to learn certain karmic lessons. Once we are here, we will have experiences that are part of those lessons. Our response to those experiences is where free will comes in. We can choose to reject any hard or painful experiences but they will just keep coming around until we do.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Donnavila Marie01

At some point, I want to believe in destiny because I am a Type A person, and I want to prepare and anticipate things, still, there are times when I am shocked with untoward events. Hence, destiny sounds true to me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I believe that God has a plan for us all. Some people are meant to do great things and others are meant to do things not quite as spectacular. I think I'm meant for those every day things. I try to help others in every day ways...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01

Spirit Wandering wrote:If you define destiny as fate, then I do. However, I also believe in free will. I think both exist, in the context of reincarnation. Between lives, I believe we choose our path (fate) in order to learn certain karmic lessons. Once we are here, we will have experiences that are part of those lessons. Our response to those experiences is where free will comes in. We can choose to reject any hard or painful experiences but they will just keep coming around until we do.
Thanks for these thoughts. They are inspiring. Your words remind me that I have my free will and at the same time, I must accept that there are forces beyond my control.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:I believe that God has a plan for us all. Some people are meant to do great things and others are meant to do things not quite as spectacular. I think I'm meant for those every day things. I try to help others in every day ways...
This sums up my belief, as well. I believe God has a plan for all of us. I don't think I would call it destiny, but just His plan. I would say He has an overall plan, but we have the free will to make decisions in how we get there.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:I believe that God has a plan for us all. Some people are meant to do great things and others are meant to do things not quite as spectacular. I think I'm meant for those every day things. I try to help others in every day ways...
I agree with kandscreeley. I'm a religious person who also believes that God has a plan for all of our lives. His plan is our destiny.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Donnavila Marie01

I somehow believe in this. There are people who are given greater gifts but are given greater things to accomplish. There are some who are given less but are meant to do less but this is not an excuse for discrimination.
Kisses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3330">Love accidental</a>
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kisses »

Yes. But we're the one who is choosing or doing our destiny.
Donnavila Marie01

Kisses wrote:Yes. But we're the one who is choosing or doing our destiny.
You have a point. This reminds me of the saying that 99% of what happens to you is within your control. The remaining 1% are the untoward events or outside force beyond our control.
kyremae
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by kyremae »

i believe that everything that happens in our life was God's plans, but we need also to do something for our selves because we never know what God plan for us if we just wait for it and do nothing, nothing good will come :roll:
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I not only dont believe in destiny but also dont believe we can always make our own destiny. There's so many babies who die early or young because of complications or sicknesses - isn't it cruel to believe that their "destiny" was to die young and unfulfilled? And what choice did they have in terms of control or making their own destiny in that situation?

I think life can just be cruel sometimes. But its making the most of it that makes life worthwhile and worth living.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Preciosonic
Currently Reading: Before I Wake
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Preciosonic »

Yes,I do believe in destiny. As most of the posters said God has a plan for us,yes indeed he has,our destiny is in his hands but been that God gave us the gift of CHOICE, our actions have a way of leading us to our destiny or away from it,that why we should always seek God's face in whatever we do.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”