Man as servant of technology

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Man as servant of technology

Post by bookiegalke »

I would say that to some extent man has become a servant of technology because he has allowed it to control his every move to the point that some have ceased to be productive in their own lives
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I could't agree less with you all. The question is even more important considering that it focuses on real life events and that our answers-true or false-does not change the reality. I'll like to think that man is a servant of technology only to the extent he allows it.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

I would return to the idea of addiction and technology. If technology destroys our ability to do math without a calculator, we are mentally stripped of a valuable tool. The mind is much more powerful than the technology the mind can create. We need to keep that in mind as we see and sometimes fear the advent of robots which are technologically superior and even stronger than humans but never, ever, ever, smarter!
Jim Thorne
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

People have so many shortcomings , from low self esteem , to search of identifies , to satisfying our pride and the list goes on and on. The internet has become a solution to offer a false perception of acceptance. Expect man to glue to the internet so as to gain confidence in the near future and therefore a slave to technology.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html

Post by David_92 »

People have so many shortcomings , from low self esteem , to search of identifies , to satisfying our pride and the list goes on and on. The internet has become a solution to offer a false perception of acceptance. Expect man to glue to the internet so as to gain confidence in the near future and therefore a slave to technology.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think it could be either or. If you are attached to your device at all times, I would say technology is not the servant of man. However, without man there is no technology so I can see both points.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

If you can't live without it then it kind of has power over you, doesn't it. Hopefully it will be a balanced relationship.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 18:37 It could be either, depending on the individual. If a person lets themselves be tied to their smartphone or other device, that is a choice to be a servant of technology. I think we would collectively be better off if each of us individually "unplugged" on a regular basis-which is what I'm going to do now!
I love that. Sometimes we need to take a step back to appreciate everything else in our lives.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think in today's society, man is a slave to technology. So many times, I will go out to someplace, and find myself guilty of being more interested in my phone than in my surroundings. When I am with friends, I am especially guilty of feeling a "need" to check my phone, to be "plugged in" to all the internet has to offer. For now, it is not extremely harmful for man to be enslaved to technology; however, if we aren't careful, technology will advance to the point that it becomes harmful for us to be "plugged in" 24/7.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

In my opinion, technology should be a tool or a servant for man. However, there will always be exceptions since not everyone, especially teens, can stay away from their smart devices and that makes them servants of technology.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

"Slavery" is effectively being forced to do something by some outside force. Slavery is having no agency where you would normally have agency. Technology cannot force us to use it. Thus, it is a choice. Because we have the power to do otherwise and remain unpunished, we are not slaves to technology. However, because technology has no agency in the first place, it is not a slave to us, either. Technology is a tool, like a hammer or a pencil, except people do not ask me if I have enslaved any other tool.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I would agree with this. Technology has latched on to most human minds! It’s slowly taking over!
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

People have become so dependent on technology that when it crashes they have no clue of what to do. Even at doctors' offices, they all carry around laptops now and have purged out paper records. I enjoy technology and it makes things more convenient, but I truly miss things being simpler. Social media sites cause tension, arguing, and there's never a break any more.
Mac :techie-reference:
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Whether a man is a servant of thexhnology or the other way around is dependent on one's choice on how to utilize technology. Also, man and technology can work together to achieve results if the man chooses to do so.
Shraddha Chauhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-chauhan.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Shraddha Chauhan »

I've seen people around me spending most of their time on laptops and mobile phones. Having social media and social sites as a means to keep tabs on different events going around the world has become a part of our lives. In a way, we have become servants of technology. It is not a bad thing since we are gaining information about other things that are happening all around the world. But we have to keep our interactions with technology limited so that it doesn't affect our daily life negatively. -R

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”