Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Re: Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Post by hlc85 »

For lack of a better word, sci-fi is a very “delicate” genre. It is easily tarnished or ruined by a uninventive or foolish detail. I personally love H.G. Wells as an author. As a pioneer for sci-fi, Wells’ work cannot be outdone. His The time Machine is a thoughtful and fascinating classic that has much meaning in it. Sci-fi is so great because it is thought-provoking and it requires creativity to visualize the concepts. I think the challenge of imagining the characters or the enigmatic elements makes reading sci-fi better than watching it; however, I thoroughly enjoy watching it too. This was a hard question!
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Luzminda Ballesteros
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luzminda Ballesteros »

I prefer reading. It activates my imagination.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I prefer to read Sci-Fi. Watching it can be nice, but I like developing a picture of the scenes and actions in my mind more. Also, I find that I can figure out the nature of the static and dynamic characters with more ease if I read the work rather than watch an adaptation of it.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
dylynspage
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dylynspage »

I personally prefer to read Sci-Fi than to what it. Letting my imagination creat the images and to do more than as when I'm watching it.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

If I want to visualize a setting in order to entertain myself, watching Sci-Fi is my choice. I only read a select number of Sci-Fi because I'm not that invested in imagining every details of the setting (unless the book is really engaging which exceeds my expectations). But if the setting in the book is developed well such that the setting is an essential element in the story, like in the case of H. G. Wells' THE TIME MACHINE and Aldous Huxley's A BRAVE NEW WORLD (it's more of a dystopian novel, but it can be considered Sci-Fi during its time), these are the exceptions when I read Sci-Fi.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

I prefer both reading and watching Sci-Fi, depends on my mood. :) Sometimes I just wanna sit and relax, munch on my favorite snacks while watching. And at times when I feel like it, I read books.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I love Sci-Fi. However I would rather curl up and read me a very good book. Reading relaxes me and I feel the books that I read.
Cirodafix
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Cirodafix »

I prefer reading since they take me to the world of fiction and fantasy

-- 30 Jun 2017, 23:57 --
spreadlove
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spreadlove.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by spreadlove »

I would definitely prefer reading because it depends on you on how to interpret the book whereas in watching, I feel like it's much more difficult to connect with it and interpret in whichever way you want to. Though this might differ with everyone else. Do share your thoughts on this.

Love,
R.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kunlebass
Currently Reading: Soundproof Future Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: Tablet

Post by kunlebass »

I prefer reading it
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

I like reading and watching. Just that the reading becomes more interesting if the author does a good job of painting a good picture
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I usually prefer a book over a movie or series anyday. But watching a Sci-fi series is definitely better than reading because this genre involves a lot of technical stuff and descriptions of strange new machines and robots and weapons which is easier to visualise than imagine!!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Great question. I'm one of those readers who generally prefer the books over the movie or tv version. I can even be the annoying one who keeps muttering, "It's not like that in the book." in the cinema.
Lus
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Lus »

I would say watching since usually this kind of movies are full of special effects. But if your fantasy is developed enough, I guess reading is also not a bad idea.

-- 04 Jul 2017, 01:45 --

I would say watching since usually this kind of movies are full of special effects. But if your fantasy is developed enough, I guess reading is also not a bad idea.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Honestly I like both. Some I would prefer to watch and some I would prefer to read but it all depends really. I love reading and can basically do it anywhere so I'd probably be more inclined to read a SciFi at the end of the day.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”