Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Re: Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Post by jvez »

I'm not really a major fan of sci-fi. But I think I'd prefer watching it in film due to the effects and animation. I do have a few sci films that I enjoyed. I've tried reading sci-fi books before but they just don't captivate me that much.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

Watching sci-fi would be more convenient because of the portaryal it could offer that would be difficult to describe in a book. But in terms of context, reading would be better in giving details and explanation
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The genre is of my preference in both instances. However, I must admit that reading a sci-fi book, if well written, stimulates our imagination to a higher degree by presenting us with worlds, creatures, and situations that would never appear or happen in the real world.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think I would have to say that I prefer to read it. Yes, sometimes it can be difficult to picture all of the various components of a ship, for example, but I am the kind of person that has a very vivid imagination, so I can at least get a semi-accurate picture in my mind when imagining a ship, or an alien, or some new technology.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I prefer reading the book. One in a while, I do watch sci-fi movies and find them really interesting.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

MarisaRose wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 10:09 Sci-fi is such a vast genre. It can include so many new types of aliens, species, technology etc. Do you ever find it's just easier to watch (especially with modern day visual effects) because sometimes it's difficult to understand when reading?
I actually enjoy doing both. My only proviso is that the book or show/movie be well written.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

In terms of simply enjoying the story, I often enjoy sci-fi as a visual medium, with special effects. However, in terms of understanding the context of the events within a story, I prefer to read sci-fi.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I've really enjoyed watching sci-fi, but I haven't quite found the right book that I've actually enjoyed. I've been recommended a few that I disliked. I really didn't enjoy Superhighway either. Hoping the right book comes my way soon!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
MitchL
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MitchL »

well watching is more for me I can see it all not think or see it in my mind.
Iknow reading is better just for that it gets your mind, your imagination pulsing, you want to turn the page instead of the channel
Plus it will prevent you from grabbing that cig, or fattening food item, Your to busy too involved in the reading you cant put it down.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I like to read and watch sci-fi. If a book is written well, it's as easy to get into a sci-fi book as it is to get into a movie. The movie though, you can get into it by seeing the graphics and how everything plays out.
Mac :techie-reference:
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I often prefer reading to watching, but I prefer watching Sci-fi movies. Most stories in this genre are very fast-paced and emphasize the settings and the plots rather than the characters' inner lives, so movie is definitely an easier means to communicate those.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

If the writing is engaging enough and easy to understand without overcomplicating things, then definitely reading as watching a movie limits your imagination to a specific way the scene could be, otherwise while reading different people perceive and imagine the scenes differently as per their own experiences.
"Growth is the essence of life."
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

At first, it was easier for me to just watch sci-fi. I don't think it was ever because it was hard for me to understand what I was reading. It was more of an I-really-don't-like-reading type of thing. I read mostly science fiction now. I guess I just really like doing both?
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I enjoy watching more than reading Sci-Fi but recently some really good books have been published so I might begin to enjoy reading more than watching Sci-Fi.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

If the movie is great in quality of visuals and talented actors, I'll watch it. I'll read a sci-fi book if the author is good that it has the ability to pull me in. Over all it depends on how good the movie or the book is.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”