The ethical dilemmas in Superhighway

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
User avatar
mamalui
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Feb 2018, 11:11
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: The ethical dilemmas in Superhighway

Post by mamalui » 20 Mar 2018, 09:22

Spirit Wandering wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 15:32
mamalui wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 07:21
Every action has a reaction. Even if no one holds him accountable for his actions somehow somewhere things are going to catch up to him one way or another no matter how careful he may think himself to be.
Yes, I think the principles of physics would apply. I would think that Alex losing his girlfriend and being caught in the net of the CIA would certainly qualify as a reaction. Thanks for reading the post and replying.
You are welcome spirit wondering.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

User avatar
VictoriaMcMillen
Posts: 149
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 16:39
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen » 21 Mar 2018, 14:48

Your post definitely raises some serious thoughts. I agree the author did not go into much detail about the ripple effects, the actions the character was taking, was having on the rest of the world. Aside from the economic discussions, there was not much told on how the money affected the lives of who it was meant to help. It seemed the character easily fell into the "wealthy mindset" of throwing money at problems and not quite knowing how to follow through. I didn't see the book as just about the "digital Robin Hood" storyline, but the epic underlying story of how he became this way. I believe this was more the author's story than the actual moving of wealth... although we shall see in the next books.

Ethics, however, I do not feel matter when it is serious gangsters and terrorists he is stealing from. The collateral damage there would most likely be another person of equal stature. Except as you said, in the instance where an innocent life was taken. Then again, it was the choice of antagonist to commit this crime, sure the victim was put in danger by the actions of the theft. She most certainly should have never been hurt, had Alex been less childish with his gift.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 21 Mar 2018, 17:59

VictoriaMcMillen wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 14:48
Your post definitely raises some serious thoughts. I agree the author did not go into much detail about the ripple effects, the actions the character was taking, was having on the rest of the world. Aside from the economic discussions, there was not much told on how the money affected the lives of who it was meant to help. It seemed the character easily fell into the "wealthy mindset" of throwing money at problems and not quite knowing how to follow through. I didn't see the book as just about the "digital Robin Hood" storyline, but the epic underlying story of how he became this way. I believe this was more the author's story than the actual moving of wealth... although we shall see in the next books.

Ethics, however, I do not feel matter when it is serious gangsters and terrorists he is stealing from. The collateral damage there would most likely be another person of equal stature. Except as you said, in the instance where an innocent life was taken. Then again, it was the choice of antagonist to commit this crime, sure the victim was put in danger by the actions of the theft. She most certainly should have never been hurt, had Alex been less childish with his gift.
Good points-thanks for reading the post and replying.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

User avatar
desantismt_17
Posts: 297
Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 08:56
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 168
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: The Chronicles of the Virago: Book II THE APPRENTUS by Michael Bialys

Post by desantismt_17 » 06 Apr 2018, 08:34

I didn't agree with Alex taking the money, even if it was from crime lords. If he's stealing it, he's the same as the thieves he took it from, especially since he puts a decent amount of the money toward himself. I do agree that large numbers of individuals doing what Alex does would result in chaos, but there is a good point to helping those in need. When Alex forms his charity organization, I think his heart is in the right place, but his method to fund the organization wasn't the right one.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 06 Apr 2018, 17:09

desantismt_17 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 08:34
I didn't agree with Alex taking the money, even if it was from crime lords. If he's stealing it, he's the same as the thieves he took it from, especially since he puts a decent amount of the money toward himself. I do agree that large numbers of individuals doing what Alex does would result in chaos, but there is a good point to helping those in need. When Alex forms his charity organization, I think his heart is in the right place, but his method to fund the organization wasn't the right one.
Thanks for reading the post and adding your perspective.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

User avatar
crediblereading2
Posts: 995
Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 13:32
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 11 Apr 2018, 22:44

The Bible states that 'thou shalt not steal' and it also says, if someone is hungry, he should go to a field, find food and eat on the Sabbath day. I guess it all depends on the situation. It is all about balance. There are instances where his actions may be justified but there are other times when it may not be.

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 12 Apr 2018, 18:43

Good point. I wrote the post because Alex's situation has a lot of ambiguity. Thanks for replying.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

charmaineperit
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 10:03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit » 27 Apr 2018, 12:03

Bad actions shouldn't be justified by good consequences. But it's a really difficult topic of ethics, sometimes, the good outways the bad that we still find it "heroic".

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 27 Apr 2018, 12:18

charmaineperit wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 12:03
Bad actions shouldn't be justified by good consequences. But it's a really difficult topic of ethics, sometimes, the good outways the bad that we still find it "heroic".
Yes, it is a difficult topic of ethics. Thanks for replying.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

User avatar
KRay93
Posts: 289
Joined: 01 Mar 2018, 09:49
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Transfer Of Power
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Me and Mario by Carol Gino

Post by KRay93 » 02 May 2018, 09:53

Books like these are the ones that remind us why we will never have that kind of powers. We are simply not prepared to consider all the possible ramifications of using that kind of power.

As for his actions, it is all a question of perspective. He steals from who he and the society as a whole call "criminals". In other words, he imposes his own judgment on said persons, considering that their wealth is unjustified. On the other hand, under his own judgment, he decides to give part of that money to a man in a street situation that seems to have ended up there because of what that same criminal did. Like every other human being, his judgment is not perfect, and it's only a matter of time before he ends up robbing someone that may not deserve to be robbed...

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 02 May 2018, 17:49

KRay93 wrote:
02 May 2018, 09:53
Books like these are the ones that remind us why we will never have that kind of powers. We are simply not prepared to consider all the possible ramifications of using that kind of power.

As for his actions, it is all a question of perspective. He steals from who he and the society as a whole call "criminals". In other words, he imposes his own judgment on said persons, considering that their wealth is unjustified. On the other hand, under his own judgment, he decides to give part of that money to a man in a street situation that seems to have ended up there because of what that same criminal did. Like every other human being, his judgment is not perfect, and it's only a matter of time before he ends up robbing someone that may not deserve to be robbed...
Your comments are well thought out and insightful. Thanks for replying.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

User avatar
Helpme71
Posts: 82
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 07:13
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Helpme71 » 06 May 2018, 20:08

I think that Alex should be held accountable for his actions, regardless of the fact that he was "stealing from the rich to give to the poor". While it seems right to him, there are better ways to do these things. As you mentioned, sometimes his actions led to the worst possible outcome (such as death). However, I also believe that these negative outcomes are a sort of consequence for Alex's actions.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 07 May 2018, 04:56

Helpme71 wrote:
06 May 2018, 20:08
I think that Alex should be held accountable for his actions, regardless of the fact that he was "stealing from the rich to give to the poor". While it seems right to him, there are better ways to do these things. As you mentioned, sometimes his actions led to the worst possible outcome (such as death). However, I also believe that these negative outcomes are a sort of consequence for Alex's actions.
Thanks for reading the post and replying.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

dbulkley
Posts: 76
Joined: 20 Jun 2018, 21:24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley » 01 Aug 2018, 12:16

I agree he should’ve gone about getting money a different way, his actions were bound to catch up with him! This was very predictable! But I suppose he thought he was doing a good thing.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

User avatar
Spirit Wandering
Posts: 1009
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 16:21
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering » 02 Aug 2018, 19:59

dbulkley wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 12:16
I agree he should’ve gone about getting money a different way, his actions were bound to catch up with him! This was very predictable! But I suppose he thought he was doing a good thing.
Yes, until his girl friend was killed, he saw himself as a kind of Robin Hood, as he set up a foundation and gave away a lot of money. Thanks for reading the review and replying
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”