Is Our Main Character Likable?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Denise Wallace
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Re: Is Our Main Character Likable?

Post by Denise Wallace »

hsimone wrote:What are your thoughts about Alex? Is he likable? Not likable? What do you think about the way he spends money? Treats women? Overall, personality?
Alex is a very sympathetic character. After all, he lived in an orphanage since he was a newborn and never knew his parents or his real name.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
frederickmintah
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by frederickmintah »

Liberating the poor and needy with our substance is a Christlike service and I like this young man for his generosity and love for his fellow man.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I agree with Pm7lucas. Alex is indeed immature. I dare say that this is an under statement. Alex is an over grown child and children don't want to cause trouble. They just detest restrain.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

Though I wouldn't call him 'likable,' Alex is a very realistic character who reminded me of people in my own life. He's immature and impulsive, which makes sense considering his childhood.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
faith wanyonyi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by faith wanyonyi »

he is likable basing on his age
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I could not relate to him so I won't judge but I think his actions are justified by his age. He was definitely complex that one.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Not necessarily, but if they are not likeable at first, it should have that sweet strained feeling, and at the end they should definitely be liable
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

Mmmh. I think from his action he created in me the curious tendency and sparked my imagination while reading. I liked him . He might be likable to other readers too.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Imagine after a life of struggle homelessness and then you hit a jackpot. What would you do?
I recently heard from a friend that if you want to kill someone especially who has been struggling, give him or her a lot of money, he will destroy himself with the money.
When you see Alex in restaurants overeating, you will understand where he is coming from.
Well his character is identical to many people who have hit a jackpot. Though I see a person who is keen to help others in need.
I admire him in his exploits.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The problem for me was how emotionless his narration was. He seemed like someone who, ultimately, didn't care about the consequences of his actions. And, if he's supposed to be as intelligent as he's described in the beginning then why does he keep making ridiculously bad decisions? I really did not like this character.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

I'm having conflicting feelings about him. I don't exactly dislike him but I feel like only half of our moral values are aligned.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Intelligent, handsome, full of money and seemingly willing to give a large sum away to the poor! :) Maybe that's why all the young ladies in the novel seem to fall for him. Seriously speaking, I would like him not to reflect teenagers nowadays so much, but unfortunately he does.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

The common opinion here seems to be that Alex is immature and somewhat unlikeable. Although I agree with the immature part, I think this was very true form for an eighteen year old guy. I actually found him quite likable. He immediately refused to take money from hardworking people no matter how much they had. He only targeted those who gain their riches illegally. He was definitely wishy-washy in his relationships but, again, typical of a teen male. I was frustrated him in his dealings with Eva and I really hate to read anything about characters cheating but it seemed very real because of it. And as the book progresses he does seem to understand more that actions have consequences.

I did feel sorry for him because he was an orphan and was returned by two families but I felt most sorry for him because he had no one to turn to when he was struggling. Role models have a huge impact on the development of children and teens into responsible adults and he had very limited role models who really could lead him in the right direction.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I find him to be a likeable character, a modern day Robin Hood. His humble beginnings made him more sensitive to peoples problems. And the fact that instead of being a delinquent, like many in the same boat as him, he chose to sturdy and better himself so one day he can be somebody. So yeah he's likeable.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I wasn't sure I'd like Alex from the beginning. The opening chapter where he is contemplating killing himself because of how badly he messed up turned me off. I've read books that start like that where we find out the main character brought most of the hardship on himself/herself. Alex is no exception--no simpathy for self-inflicted wounds. He had good intentions for the money and wound up doing stuff for himself. He treated Eva terribly. Alex makes a string of bad choices that lead to him ending up in the situation at the book's end, but by the time he realized how dumb he'd been, I didn't care enough about him to applaud his realization. I guess it depends on one's definition of likable, but I don't really like Alex.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”