Is Our Main Character Likable?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Re: Is Our Main Character Likable?

Post by BriennaiJ »

I am actually close to Alex in age, so you might think that he would be relatable for young adults. However, even comparing him to male friends in real life, he is extremely immature. His habit of jumping from one girl to the next might be common in some young adult males, but not every guy between the age of 18-25 acts that way. YA novels tend to portray guys as being this and this being the "normal" behavior for them, but it simply isn't true. I didn't like him at all.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

No, I think his personality is not likable because of his immaturity and his age only seeks to reinforce this assessment.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This story reminds me of Spiderman and Flash Gordon. I like Alex. His childhood was quite topsy-turvy, however, he is an ambitious and self-taught person. His kindness I guess is influenced by the love he received from Mrs. Jenkins.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

He is very likable. Grew up poor, and when he has the world at his fingertips, he chooses to use it to help other poor people.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I think he is likable, though sometimes bordering Mary Sue due to all the positive traits he has. I mean he's supposed to be good-looking, intelligent and all. Still, he displays some characteristics of your typical teenage boy which offsets the Mary Sue factor a bit.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

I am only halfway finishing the book. As of now, i don't find him likable because of his immature decisions. But i hope that as the story unfolds, there would have a character development.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The actions that Alex carries out with his "powers" sound like the typical actions that someone of his age and with his personal background would carry out. As for his immaturity, I know many people of 18 who perform acts even more stupid than his. We must also remember that his "internet trips" end up providing him an adrenaline rush which overloads his senses, almost as if it were an addiction...
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

To me, Alex was very unlikeable. He viewed women as someone to simply give him pleasure and make him "feel complete", and he wasted money left and right, even if he was trying to do something good. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to like him.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

hsimone wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 03:15 What are your thoughts about Alex? Is he likable? Not likable? What do you think about the way he spends money? Treats women? Overall, personality?
To a point, I think he's likable, but I wish he treated women better. It doesn't matter if he's a "typical" young guy, his treatment of women needed to be a lot better.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by bobbiebryner »

I really enjoyed the book Superhighway. I thought the main character was very likable. As a naive 18-year-old, the character and his choices were completely believable. I liked that he did not have the wisdom or experience that comes with age. I found myself practically yelling at the book as he kept wearing the watch around Amsterdam. However, this would be the exact type of decision I would expect from a teenager. His impulsiveness was typical of a young man. Even his idea that he knew everything there was to know about sex made me laugh. I remember being that age and thinking I knew everything, too.

I liked that the character was a philanthropist that used his own impoverished past as an impetus to donate to charity and improve lives. It was an endearing quality. Instead of becoming greedy and self-centered, he was a soft-hearted and generous soul. I wanted to take him in and offer him comfort, guidance, and support. I think the author did a fantastic job creating an endearing character that will appeal to both to young adults and the older generation.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by bobbiebryner »

BriennaiJ wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 08:06 I am actually close to Alex in age, so you might think that he would be relatable for young adults. However, even comparing him to male friends in real life, he is extremely immature. His habit of jumping from one girl to the next might be common in some young adult males, but not every guy between the age of 18-25 acts that way. YA novels tend to portray guys as being this and this being the "normal" behavior for them, but it simply isn't true. I didn't like him at all.
I am glad that there are some reasonable young people. Don't take that the wrong way, it really is a compliment. As an educator, I can become jaded because the ones that stick out to me the most in a day are the ones that are very immature or troubled. "The squeaky wheel gets the oil", as they say. To hear someone from your generation affirm that these behaviors are not the norm is encouraging and refreshing. I need to conscientiously look for those silent gems in this generation before I become too discouraged. Thank you for your willingness to offer a rebuttal to the character's portrayal. I wish you luck in the future, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Bintsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bintsy »

I like his daring spirit which also makes him a very lovable young fellow :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I wasn’t crazy about the main character. He was too shallow for me and he spent too extravagantly. Still, he was kind of realistic.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I’m currently halfway through the book and can’t say I like him. I find him immature in every decision he makes. He starts as wanting to be a sort of modern Robin Hood but all he’s doing so far is eating, jumping from one girl to the next, stealing and using the money for his own good. Not to mention the way he left the orphanage and the woman who’s in the end the only real mother he ever had.
Berry :wine:
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Yes, he is. From his relationship with his foster parents and Jenkins, I found him to be a likable person. In addition, his type of philanthropy, getting money from the rich criminals and giving it to those in need, was a plus.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”