Is Our Main Character Likable?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Storm+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: Is Our Main Character Likable?

Post by Storm+ » 27 Jun 2018, 20:15

I didn't find Alex very likable. Yes, he had good qualities, such as donating money to charity, but he also kept a lot of it for himself out of greed. In fact, he started his first charity out of guilt because his impulsive actions caused someone to be killed. He treats women as inferior beings, bodies to warm his bed. He cheats, he lies, and he cuts himself off from his "family" (Ms. Jenkins) without regret or remorse. He hates getting caught, but otherwise does not seem to care about the consequences of his actions until it affects his own life.

Eryn Bradshaw
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw » 13 Jul 2018, 17:44

I found Alex an obnoxious, horny teenager. The book was more geared towards New Adult in my opinion, so why not make him a little less immature and less womanizing?
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley » 29 Jul 2018, 21:09

Alex wasn’t really likable to me, but definitely acted his age. He thought all the girls in the novel were super attractive and obsessed with love at times. He was receptive with his actions, thinking he would never get in trouble. However he did give money to a lot of people that deserved it, which was his only non-selfish decision.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”