Is Our Main Character Likable?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Storm+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: Is Our Main Character Likable?

Post by Storm+ » 27 Jun 2018, 20:15

I didn't find Alex very likable. Yes, he had good qualities, such as donating money to charity, but he also kept a lot of it for himself out of greed. In fact, he started his first charity out of guilt because his impulsive actions caused someone to be killed. He treats women as inferior beings, bodies to warm his bed. He cheats, he lies, and he cuts himself off from his "family" (Ms. Jenkins) without regret or remorse. He hates getting caught, but otherwise does not seem to care about the consequences of his actions until it affects his own life.

Eryn Bradshaw
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw » 13 Jul 2018, 17:44

I found Alex an obnoxious, horny teenager. The book was more geared towards New Adult in my opinion, so why not make him a little less immature and less womanizing?
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley » 29 Jul 2018, 21:09

Alex wasn’t really likable to me, but definitely acted his age. He thought all the girls in the novel were super attractive and obsessed with love at times. He was receptive with his actions, thinking he would never get in trouble. However he did give money to a lot of people that deserved it, which was his only non-selfish decision.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by mac83 » 20 Sep 2018, 10:17

I think Alex is a little stiff, but I think he is likeable. His experiences make him a little more unsure of himself I think, but he adjusts quickly as he meets new women. After meeting the first woman, he seems to become pretty sure of himself.
Mac :techie-reference:

aprenni
Currently Reading: The Casual Vacancy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprenni.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aprenni » 28 Sep 2018, 08:23

I can't say that I'd ever want to be friends with Alex, but I do think he is a pretty well-written character. He treats women like objects to be had, but I think part of that can be attributed to him being an orphan. Yes, Mrs. Jenkins was wonderful and I'm sure she tried to raise him well, but the fact of the matter is that Alex grew up in an orphanage. He didn't have positive parental role models, aside from Mrs. Jenkins, and Mrs. Jenkins had a pack of kids to take care of. Perhaps no one sat down and really talked with him about how to treat women, about how to manage a crisis, or about any other moral issues found in this book. Alex does what any orphan would do given this sudden wealth and power: he flirts with pretty girls and he keeps a hefty portion of his profits to himself, because he's never had anything before. Because he's never had anything to call his own, he goes a bit overboard: instead of keeping enough money to get a cheap hotel, he gets hotels that are lavish and over the top. Instead of buying some new clothes from an average store, he gets designer and name-brand items because he's never had anything like that before. I think his monetary greed comes from his childhood, and I would like to see him grow and mature as a character to move away from that lifestyle.

Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ » 18 Nov 2018, 10:38

I actually couldn't relate to his character well. He is so complex as a person.

serendipity 27
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1375
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 282
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 » Yesterday, 12:28

I don't know if he is necessarily either, as he is a young boy with extraordinary powers, and he's struggling to cope with all that he learns about his past. He's not likable in the way that he treats women. However, it is commendable that he is trying to help the poor and downtrodden. The way he goes about it isn't the greatest though.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D

A G Darr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by A G Darr » Yesterday, 14:22

I liked the main character, but when I was first reading the books I felt like this was wish fulfillment for the author. The main character, Alex, has the same first name as the author. The character Alex is really powerful, rich, and attractive. Luckily, the author is a good storyteller, so even though everything seems too-good-to-be-true about the main character, he at least faces some real hardship and growth.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”