Phillantropist?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Phillantropist?

Post by kfwilson6 »

Aimy wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 12:57 Yes, I would love to be generous. However, to be generous, we don't need a lot of money. Little deeds of kindness, tender words of care, a smile and just a helping hand, that may not be a big deal for us, can bring happiness or at least a little comfort in someone's life. As for as money is concerned, spending it to bring happiness in others lives is a means of bringing satisfaction in our lives. How can one be happy? if people around them are suffering and they know that they can get others out of their afflictions by just spending some money.
I love this post. I read the first few responses and got hung up on the fact that everyone said "if I had a lot of money." I may not have a lot to give and it may not make a huge impact but if everyone who has a little gives a little it can make a huge difference. I work for a hospital and we have a Foundation that helps to fund it. Employees can have donations deducted from their payroll. We have about 1500 employees. If only $1 was given by each every pay day, the Foundation would receive $39,000 per year. Don't think your small contributions won't matter.

I also agree with those who said to be careful where your money goes. I have a coworker who gives money to the people begging by the interstate but I am so weary of what they will use it and whether or not they actually are in need.

Of course if I did have a lot of money I would be thrilled to share it. I live a typical middle class life with just enough money to cover my bills, extra expenses to fix up my house, and a few treats like eating out. I don't need much more than that. I have what I have aspired to have. As we say in the South, anything else is just lagniappe.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I'd love to say yes, but I haven't come into the large sum of money yet. It might depend where it came from and exactly how much. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle, and if it was more money then I'd ever know what to do with, I could see myself being a philanthropist. Otherwise...I just don't know.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I, most definitely, would become a philanthropist. I think it is imperative to give to those struggling when you are struggling no longer. I also believe there are responsible ways to do so, that you do not have to go broke, or just throw money at situations either. I would have liked to see Alex use his gift to connect more people that needed each other,.As well as make sure others were taken care of that he already had first-hand knowledge of.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I am not one of those people who value human life too much, but I value money even less. I think I would never become a philanthropist, but I definitely would have no problem giving money if I had too much of it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Most people say they would be more generous if they had more money. In truth, if you are not giving something now, you probably wouldn’t if you got more wealth.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Yes, I would be a philanthropist. I agree with Raikyuu that "A true philanthropist is not just someone who gives a sum of money, but rather one who makes sure that the money would be put into good and efficient use".
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

If I was given a large sum of money, I would donate everything that I didn't need to survive, but I would also need to do my due diligence to make sure every cent made it to someone who needed it.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I don't think Alex BECAME a philanthropist, per se. He always seemed to want to help others, so the feeling was there, which is what philanthropy is - the love of humanity. I always promised myself that if I made it big, I would give back to those who deserve it, as logically speaking I wouldn't spend all that some in my short lifetime, unless I made some realllly unnecessary purchases. I think I would set aside a comfortable sum for my relatives and descendants and donate some to charity and invest the remainder.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I would hope that the memory of the tough times I went through would surface and prompt me to take that kind of action. I can't say for sure that I will as everyone talks big about doing great until time comes around to do it.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I would definitely be a philanthropist. Since I was in college, I decided that I wanted to set aside a certain amount of my money to donate to charities that I believe in. Once I started my career, I decided to continue increasing that donation amount with every salary increase I receive. I hope that I would continue doing so even if I suddenly became rich.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I deeply believe that I would become a philanthropist if I became rich.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Definitely. If I have been blessed with more than my needs, I will be more than willing to part with my extra money- whether hard-earned or not. And I think a billion dollars is definitely much more than enough for a human being.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Yes ,I believe if you want to to be generous you don't need a lot of money. Little deeds of love and kindness you show will bring joy to others, so I will love everyone to be of help no matter how small.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”