Phillantropist?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Phillantropist?

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I would like to say yes that I could become a philanthropist because the idea of having so much and sharing and helping others is a good thing, right? I mean there are causes I care about and would love to help (cancer, military vets, etc.), but what gives me pause in helping now is some of the negative stories I have heard about organizations meant to help these causes, companies receiving money and then the money is not used properly. If I were a billionaire, I could start my own foundation, so that would make me feel more helpful. And I would probably also want to donate a lot of money to help with taxes... :)
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Post by Mollymae »

To be able to give away large sums of money to those in need would be amazing. It would make life amazing.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

Yes I would become a philanthropist if I came into a large amount of money because not everyone is fortunate enough to afford basic needs. Most of my life av been financially assisted by charity organizations. It's the charities that made my dreams come true. So, no doubt if I'm in any position of making a difference in someone's life financially , then I'll gladly do it without thinking twice.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Absolutely yes...I would definitely become a philanthropist if I came into a large sum of money. It would make me so happy to help others in a big way!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

I know if i have enough to live by comfortably the rest will definitely go towards changing the world. I have very strong views on some issues of life...money definitely gives you a say and a means for change.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...I can if I came into a large sum of money. I'll set up a foundation that the less privileged can benefit from becaause it's not just about the immediate help. What's going to happen when you give a certain amount and it finishes?
I'll be generois...really generous
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

If I came into a large sum of money ofcourse I would like to share it but perhaps not in conventional ways. I would like create sustainable systems which would add value to people's lives and at the same time make people consider themselves as stakeholders in this system, which would foster continuity. I mean, money never made any body's life better on its own... so yes, I would give to established institutions, individuals needing aid, not necessarily over scrutinizing each beneciary of these gifts, but my main goal would be to create a valued system that would keep people on their feet.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by indubitabubbly »

I know I have always said if I came into a large sum of money I would build an animal rescue, or aid other animal rescues. However, it is so easy to say what we would do in certain fantastical situations when we aren't in them realistically.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I will surely be a philanthropist if I have sufficient money. But in actual this quality is not associated with large sum of money .it is associated with large heartedness aptitude towards giving people. People like Abdul Sattar Edhi and mother Tressa were not rich philanthropist.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

Being a philanthropist is not about giving money alone. You can donate your time , skills, resources and experiences to make the world better . That is equals to more than a billion sometimes.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I fully agree with you that money alone is not enough. But in today's world you need to see ,that the person to whom you want to help, really need it badly or it can be fulfilled With some other source. But personally I love to help with my time and skill, if the person really need it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

Yes, because there have been many occasions where I've felt I'd like to do more and help people out more. I would start with those close to me and then create my own charity so I could be 100% sure that my money went to those that really need it and not to those who skim the cream from it.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Having a lot of money and being willing to help are not as simple as they may look. You need to rely on other people to help other people and you need to find the right people who can be trusted for the money to reach the right places. Alex seems to be doing a pretty good job of identifying the right people to help him help others.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
AnyasiEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnyasiEmmanuel »

I like giving, contributing to someone's happiness. I have this thing I do every year with my friends at campus, we go to a motherless babies home i share the little we have with them. If I have more I will do more because giving is a life to me.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I would certainly give away some money if I came into a large amount (notwithstanding the controversy over the behaviour of some charities here in the UK) but think I would like them to be long-term sustainable investments rather than one-offs (with obvious exceptions for natural disasters). My favourite causes include prisoner rehabilitation and protection of the marine environment.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”